FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dangers of baggage carousels
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:53 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
It will sound harsh, but I have zero sympathy for the terminally (literally) stupid. The only hope is that the parent is prosecuted and jailed for manslaughter. It's the only way the stupid people learn. It's not an "accident". It was entirely foreseeable and preventable by not doing something so dumb.
I agree.

Every time a parent kills their child through an act of unmitigated stupidity, there is so much unwarranted sympathy for the parent who killed their child -
"Oh, she suffered the loss of her child, isn't that enough punishment?"

Well, let's look at it objectively...

If anyone other than the child's parent had killed the child through an act of blatant stupidity, would people be calling for the killer to be prosecuted? Yup. Yer damned right they would. Particularly the child's parents.

So why should a parent get a free pass when they kill their child through an act of blatant stupidity? Just because it's their kid, just because the loss hurts them, doesn't make their actions less negligent. In fact, since the child was theirs, that makes the child their direct responsibility, which makes their actions even more stupid, more negligent, and makes them more culpable for the death of a child than a stranger would be in the same situation.

Grief aside, this woman killed her child. You can call it an accident all you want, but the truth is that placing an infant onto a dangerous conveyor belt in a public place, whether the belt was moving at the time or not, qualifies as criminally negligent behavior, at least under US law. I imagine it's probably the same in Spain and most other European countries, as well.

Just because it was not intentional doesn't mean the parent is not responsible for her actions. She killed her child. She didn't intend to, but she killed her child.

I say, prosecute.