FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:28 am
cardinalkid1891

All flights in Y. No status on AA.

AA 2465 on September 9th LAX-SFO.
Flight was late 2 hours, and was still in SFO when I came to the gate.
Complained about delay and got 2,000 miles.

AA 251 on September 12th DFW-GIG
Flight went mechanical. We were close to taking off, but ended up on the tarmac for two hours and had to deplane and overnight in Dallas. Complained and got 15,000 miles.

AA 974 on September 17th GIG-JFK.
Basically the same thing as flight from Dallas. We were about to takeoff, but flight went mechanical and we had to deplane and overnight. I've sent an email to customer service, but no reply yet. I'm still in Rio now waiting to board on the new flight.

UPDATE: I received 15,000 miles for this flight. However, a representative from AA actually called me and apologized because of the back to back mechanicals forcing overnight stays, and said she'd put an extra 20k miles as a gesture of goodwill.

Comments: I asked for a refund for both my DFW-GIG and GIG-JFK flight. Not mad at the compensation since I booked the trips for 40,000 miles and got 30,000 miles back. Also, for the overnight in GIG AA booked me and some other passengers at the Miramar hotel in Copacabana which is really nice. Paid for room service, and everything. Additionally, for my GIG-JFK flight I had done a free oneway from JFK to HNL on a later date, and booked a flight home to RDU using avios. I asked AA to rebook that flight for me on twitter and they opened up saver level availability for me and confirmed me on that flight. Overall, i'm really pleased as someone with no status despite two overnights in a row.

UPDATE 2 Somewhat related, I also just found out that when AA rebooked my flight (Which I booked using avios), they rebooked it on a mileage earning fare, so I earned avios and tier points for it ^^

Last edited by cardinalkid1891; Sep 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm Reason: updating situation