FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Plane! Heavy Plane! Short-haul A380s with BA
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:13 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Note: This actually has very little to do with flying, but more of a vinaigrette into my life when I'm not working, writing or flying. Some of you might enjoy this... otherwise wait for the conclusions which will be live later...

Now most of you know that in what remains of my spare time, as well as writing this blog, I'm also a photographer (as well as a few other things... such as a qualified Indian Head Massage therapist.... seriously!). The other reason why I timed my trip was so that I had a pro-shoot in Limehouse the next day... and it seemed silly travelling up and down the Chilterns two days in a row - rather it was easier to base myself near Heathrow and travel around.

But not without some early morning spotting first. Shame the weather had closed in...

After finishing up at the Holiday Inn Ariel, I checked out - with no further charges added to the bill.

It was then a case of crossing the road, and waiting for a 140 back to Hayes and Harlington. Thankfully, the bus came quickly enough - a good thing as the weather was turning for the worse by the time I got outside.

The bus dropped me off outside the station and quickly enough, I was under the canopies of Hayes and Harlington.

Normally, I'd grab the first train to London, but the first train was a 3-Car Thames Turbo Networker Unit - which was crammed to the gills. Rather than put myself through the pain of a 20 minute ride crammed up against a train door, I waiting for the next train... that happened to be a Heathrow Connect to London Paddington. This being a five car train, and having just departed Heathrow was empty, and provided a relaxing ride towards Paddington.

A wet CrossRail site

Nasty.

Once at Paddington, I had some minor business to attend to (as well as a wakeup coffee), so it was off to Central London for a bit. With the business I needed concluded, it was time to negotiate the Underground and Docklands Light Rail to the Studio in the back of Limehouse.

Once again, the grey skies menaced as changed trains at Poplar, with the skyline of Canary Wharf looking imposing as usual.

Clouds over the Wharf...

After another switch of rail unit, I was at my destination. Now, the studio was a short walk away from where I was going to be doing my photography. Alas - the heavens opened.

Two words: Oh Crap (Polite version)....

To put it into context, I was 5 minutes walk away, and the weather was not letting up. I decided to run for it… and promptly got soaked.

Thankfully, the studio was dry, and I took the time to dry off before preparing for the chaos ahead.

When it comes to studio work, I tend to be the technical one in the studio - able to implement ideas (as well as shooting the photos), so it’s muggins who is there with a light meter, balancing lights, putting softboxes and barn doors on things, moving lights, adjusting power as needed and modifying lights so photographer can shoot away (or myself when I get a few minutes).

All set up.

In addition (what seemingly is normal for me) my “processing laboratory” is in the kitchen. Because that’s where you find lots of plugs isn’t it? It’s important to me I have a “lab” so I can review my work with the models I’m working with.

Kitchen=Photographers working area....

And it’s time to shoot, working in different locations in the studio as I get the work I need for my portfolio.

Danger - Photographer at work!!!

Working with the 50mm f1.4

Working with the 70-200L (because that’s the ideal studio lens… with a full frame sensor)

(Images by my co-tog James)

As for the photos… sorry! Not safe for work ... so they're not appearing here!

I’m sure they’ll appear in a portfolio of work some time. Give me the time to process the images though.... (for me... I've got the best part of 1500 images to sort from this shoot...)

I tend not to hold back when shooting, and work with the models to get the images I’m after. Similarly, it’s muggins here who fiddles with the lighting and the legalities side (I handle the model releases for the appropriate needs and ensure everyone is compliant).

With the shoot done (both successful for the models, my co-tog and myself), it was a taxi back to Stratford station for the models, and for me a taxi towards Canary Wharf where my co-tog was going to have dinner… and where I was going to dive into the Jubilee Line for a tube to Baker Street and onto Marylebone.

Upon exiting, I queued up for a ticket, and was watching the minutes tick away as a train was due to depart. Thankfully I got a discounted ticket, and raced up the platform to my train

London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street
Chiltern Clubman

I’m not going to write much about this leg for two simple reasons:
  1. I’ve written lots about the Chilterns railway service recently
  2. The train got me home
  3. I was exhausted at this point - and my laptop wasn’t looking the best after the best part of 3500 images had been dumped on it over the past two days.
But the train got me to Moor Street station, where I exited the train, went through the ticket barriers and across the road, where there was a short wait for a bus.

Back on the buses... no taxies for me!

The 82 came along, and soon I was back at the flat, after three eventful days... and a hard disk groaning full of data.