FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:36 am
caviargal1956

Programs: DL, AA, US, AF
Originally Posted by brp
I disagree with this part. While AA's response here is atrocious, the reality is that events like this are extremely rare, and there are steps that one can pretty easily take to deal with this sooner. Just like other rare events, like plane crashes, for example, I don't think that most travelers really need to be concerned about this sort of thing to any measurable extent.

Cheers.
To say that others should not be concerned and "there are steps that one can pretty easily take to deal with this sooner" is incorrect. This is AA's fault, which they admitted, and not mine. To put this back on me is IMO, just as bad as AA's attitude.

I received a 2nd, equally unconcerned response from AA yesterday:

"We're sorry that you are still unhappy with us. The intention of our previous response was to convey sincere concern for the difficulties that you encountered. Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience you experienced.

Ms. X, It seems the basis of our disagreement is over the lengths to which a company should go to comply with a customer's request, regardless of the related aspects of the situation. To remain fair and equitable when considering all customer requests, we have made a decision not to assume financial responsibility in situations we are unable to control. We believe this decision to be fair and reasonable. Our position, therefore, remains unchanged, and we must respectfully decline your request for compensation. We're sorry."

This was not a natural disaster or anything similar to "ituations we are unable to control". This was an acknowledged mistake by one of their supervisors and their attempts to wrap a bow around it are not appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post helpful comments and suggestions. I also connected with two long time AA employees yesterday and they were helpful as well.

I logged a formal complaint with the DOT, sent off snail mail and emails to the appropriate management at AA and will continue to pursue this.

I am so frustrated with their dismissive responses I am unable to let it go without a fight. If it takes small claims court, I am ready.

A vacation is not only about the money invested. We had reserved parking, a dog sitter confirmed, my husband took off valuable vacation time from work which cannot be recouped, I had arranged for coverage for my business. We were packed and ready to go on a much needed break.

Due solely to AA's error, none of those plans mattered, nor the time invested to make arrangements for this vacation.