FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:01 pm
Milezjunkie

So I checked in today and was told we were the very first guests to check in to the hotel. I previously booked 6 nights in a Garden view which was the only thing available. Upon check in we were told we were upgraded to an Oceanview suite (I have Diamond Status FYI). The room is amazing. Double balconies, complete Oceanview from three angles, automated everything- from shades to bidets (yeah, you name it and it gets cleaned, dried and pampered...) to room darkening blackouts. Another great touch for the resort is a free, 24-hour shuttle around the Wailea area. They will drop you off and pick you up from resorts and restaurants in the area (I'm thinking luaus at Grand Wailea and Marriott and restaurants such as Monkeypods). It's a great option for those without a car or looking to take advantage of an open bar at a luau.

The staff is very prepared. Those I have had the privilege of speaking to are more than prepared. They have been training over a month seem to know everything like the back of their hands. Of course they have some things they have to "check on" but they seem far more prepared than I expected. Construction appears 95% complete with the only areas left being the private residences (think Grand Wailea). Tomorrow I am supposed to tour the 3 and 4-bedroom villas. I will ask about the award point availability. They are situated closest to the ocean, in front of the main buildings. By the way, some suites (at least a hotel staff referred to them as suites) have a patio that walks out to a pool and look very nice. I have not noticed the garden view rooms but I will pay more attention to the backside of the hotel when I leave. Also, this is a valet only hotel I am told.

For all of those claiming the hotel wouldn't be properly ready on Sept 1, I have to say I am cautiously optimistic. I am looking for anything to criticize and cannot find anything yet. At most, I am told, fresh and filtered water is not yet available poolside but the waitstaff is more than eager to fill the water bottle each guest is given at check-in. The hotel looks impeccable and the delayed openings seem to have been a wise decision based on the current state of the resort. It is really amazing to watch this resort just come alive over the past few hours since we first arrived. I truly think this resort is a major enhancement to the Wailea area. For those with tons of UR points, here is a great use of them! I will report more over the next 7 days I am here but initial impressions are very good! Those that are nervous can relax for now.

Last edited by Milezjunkie; Sep 2, 2013 at 2:34 am