FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airberlin baggage meltdown
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:10 pm
bklink

Programs: BA Gold
Thumbs down Airberlin baggage meltdown

Flew AB 8109 from Stockholm to TXL on 9 August. NONE of the checked luggage was loaded on the airplane from anyone on the flight -- almost 200 missing pieces missing among the passengers including 3 of ours.

Little to no information was provided. We filled out forms and were given baggage service numbers to call, but the phone line had no answer all day. Got frustrated so returned to Tegel in person, where I was told there was no information at all and there was nobody to talk to. Asked to speak to a supervisor and waited 45 minutes to see one but he/she never arrived, then was told, sorry, supervisor not coming.

It's 48+ hours after the flight, still no information whatsoever, nobody to call, not sure what to do. I still can't comprehend why the captain decided to take off before any pieces of luggage were loaded?

So, I start looking around on the internet and what do I find, that tons of people seem to be having massive baggage trouble with AirBerlin baggage, especially in the last few days. Same basic story: No updates, no info, no answer on any phone number. What the heck is going on? Is this airline having a meltdown?

When I arrived back to Heathrow tonight, I asked the BA arrival services guy to do some digging for me, and he was happy to even though it wasn't his airline that lost our bags. I hope to hear back form him. He said that they had heard of massive problems at Air Berlin recently, especially at Tegel. Has anybody heard anything? I do remember seeing massive piles of Airberlin baggage in the baggage hall at Stockholm when I first arrived there on BA. Very disturbing.

FYI, we started a facebook group to keep track of people who had been on the flight: Airberlin 8109 Stockolm to Berlin - Where are our bags?!?!? Please join if you were on the flight or had a similar experience.

Brian