FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way to get from SF to LA and then LA to SD?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:25 am
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
We need more information to make a recommendation. The best choice in mode of transportation depends on exactly where you want to go (ie, you're planning to visit more than just the airport grounds, train station, or bus terminal, right?), where you're starting from, how much time you have, how much you're willing to spend, and whether you'll want to have a car when you get there.

For example, I've gone between LA and SD at various times by airplane, bus, and one-way rental car depending on the factors I mentioned above. FYI buses run about $25 OW and are the cheapest option short of hitch-hiking.
I think I want to avoid flying not just because of the expense (not sure what the typical SFO-LAX flights cost), but the hassle of dealing with airport security.

I've never been to LA before other than a layover at LAX so I want to hang around downtown and Hollywood. At least that's my rough plan right now.