FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 787 Discovery trip to Denmark with DY (Y+ & Y)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:47 pm
JamesBond_ppk

Introduction

When Norwegian Air Shuttle announced their plans of launching their long haul operation, I was a bit in disbelief. Having worked (a long time ago) and flown SAS for many years, I could not help but feeling sad and concerned for my main airline.

I will admit it; I've never been a huge Norwegian fan. I hate the low cost concept in general and hate the way Norwegian's CEO is communicating. He's very provocative, pretentious and, to me, annoying, even though he is not as bad as O'Leary.

One must concede though that Norwegian has succeeded, on their short haul operation. They have innovated constantly when SAS was just sleeping and swimming in their administration, IT and union issues. The least one can say is that SAS has been very very conservative over the years and never took the Norwegian threat until it was too late. Because it is indeed too late. Norwegian is now almost as big as Scandinavian Airlines and will probably soon carry more passengers than the legacy airline. They are also a major player in Northern Europe and are only getting bigger and bigger, with vast fleet expansion plans (100x 737Max and 100x A320Neo are on order).

Gone also are the early problems of Norwegian, with numerous delays, lost or damaged luggages, bad customer service. Today their punctuality and regularity statistics are on par with SAS, and service on board is polished as it can be in Scandinavia (meaning; not much... but at least there isn't much difference with SAS).

Still, as a low cost, most services cost an additional extra. Luggages, seat reservation, credit card payment are all charged at a premium making the total cost of travel much different than the original airfare.

One exception to that though is when the tickets are booked through a travel agency. Indeed, some have specific agreements, like the one we use at my work, which include seat reservation and 2 pieces of checked luggage in the fare price. With SAS lacking fast track and lounge on their domestic flights in Norway; there is today only the status qualifying points as a difference for norwegians domestic flights. In addition, Norwegian has newer planes, often with Sky Interior and free WiFi, than SAS, so for my part; as soon I'll have requalified for Eurobonus *G, I will not mind flying Norwegian at all.

But today Norwegian is not only a short haul carrier; they also operate long haul flights. The delays in the introduction of the 787 has led to Norwegian wet leasing some A340 for a few months. These have not been well received in the press though; with many service issues on board. Norwegian has since then re-adjusted its long haul service procedure but more importantly received their first 787-800 Dreamliner.

This first out of 8 in order is baptised after the norwegian olympic champion Sonja Henje. For the phasing in of this aircraft in its fleet, Norwegian planned to train their flight and cabin crew as well as ground services on shorter european routes before putting the aircraft on its dedicated long haul routes. Therefore the 787 has been flying a few routes from OSL to amongst other LGW, NCE, ARN and these days CPH.

When phasing in is completed, Norwegian will operate flights from OSL/ARN/CPH to JFK/FLL/BKK to start with (check their website for exact details). Flights will not be operated on a daily basis, at least at first. Norwegian CEO is pretty ambitious regarding its long haul plans and has mentionned many other Asian cities as possible new destinations. He has also mentionned the 789 as a possibility for their fleet expansion in the future. Will they succeed as well on long haul than on short haul? Time will tell...

Anyway, as soon as I found a date that worked for me I decided to book a return flight to experience the "Dream" for the first time, and see what the big deal is all about. My choice felt on a short return flight to CPH:

Norwegian offers 2 cabins in their 787. Economy in a 3-3-3 configuration and Premium Economy in a 2-3-2 setup. I booked standard economy both ways and paid for a seat selection by the window and by the emergency exit for the return flight.

The total fare was: 970 NOK (around 160 USD).

Norwegian Air Shuttle is a relatively unknown airline here on FT, so here is my Trip Report; luxury travellers and First Class lovers, pass on this one!

Last edited by JamesBond_ppk; Oct 27, 2013 at 12:59 pm Reason: Added links! Corrections.