FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter in Taiwan! CX F/J, JL Y, AA J/dom. F + Taipei and Kenting
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:38 am
incognitoMD

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Transit in HKG, The Wing

Some of you might be wondering. Why the hell did I not plan a layover in HK and visit the city? Well, I did want to, however timing of my winter break was not the best, and I wanted to make sure I had enough time in Taiwan. HK Layover next time! (hint: Winter 13 trip report..)

As I expected, HKIA was very much like the other Asian airports- spacious, modern, and very clean. I dream that my home terminal, ORD T3, can be like this one day Signs were everywhere, and as I already had a boarding pass for the onward segment, I skipped the counters and headed directly for security.

The Wing First Class lounge was under renovation, but part of it was still open. I hung out there for a bit, then went to the Pier, which was near my departure gate.

View of CX 872, a 744 about to depart for SFO around midnight.

My departure gate was near the Wing.

One interesting thing that I came across this time, was that the departure gate of my TPE bound flight had not been announced until 35 minutes before departure. Once at the gate, a delay was announced, as the incoming aircraft, an A333 from Taipei, had a mechanical delay at its origin. Added onto this was some rain/poor visibility. All in all, the 10:45pm flight left around 12, and I arrived after 1am.

Boarding lines going on for miles..
Next- The CX new Cirrus Business Class