FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Power on Qantas Flights?
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:23 am
serfty
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by tt7
I don't know whether number_6 looked at the links - but I did and they were not helpful. The first link (which you now appear to have corrected) simply linked to the QF home page. The second link - which you now quote above - clearly implies that economy does not have power. Why you have chosen to highlight the word "Economy" when it clearly refers to Premium Economy, I don't know.

The (corrected) first link to information on the refurbished 747s states "...... access PC power and USB ports in all cabins." which would clearly imply that the 747s do now have power in economy.

The second link states "PC power is available in First, Business and Premium Economy on selected international B747-400 and in Business on all international A330-300 aircraft." - which to me clearly implies that economy does not have power. That, however, is presumably out of date and has been superseded by the updated information in the first link. ...
Thanks for the information, I apologise to those who were confused - I obviously was - it was a little late at night - I have now modified my post.

Originally Posted by tt7
In any case, from the last link it is indeed apparent that power is is available in economy on the refurbished 744ER's

For the OP, it appears that the 747s now have power in economy. I haven't flown in Y on a 747 recently but if it's like Y on the A380 (and it's been a while since I did that), the power port is not obvious - it's located under the seat in front, on the back of the armrest - feel down under the arm rest in front in you should be able to feel the socket.
Originally Posted by number_6
... qantas.com states that Y doesn't have power, only W & J, but is notorioiusly late to be updated. I'll stick to flying F on QF so can't verify.
As verified by tt7 the last article I linked to on Qantas.com specifically states the economy power is available.
...... access PC power and USB ports in all cabins.
which indicates that the most recently refurbished 747s do now have power in economy.

As for the power point location, I believe it is similar to to that of the 388 ... here's some photographs (of the 388 - click to enlarge):
Originally Posted by serfty
Good News - there is a power socket readily accessible to 80A. It to the left of the 80A occupant at the back of 79B on the right hand of that seat. There's another power socket similarly placed between 79B and 79C (accessible to 80B/C).

It points at a 45 degree angle to the floor.

Here's a couple of images:

Socket:

This was taken with the camera touching the floor and pointing up slightly.

In the second image, the socket is located underneath a discernible straight part of the curve just above the image centre. (You cannot see the actual socket in the photo)
Note that there is always a chance of a substitution, but this is rare as a non ER 744 would be ulikely to safely make DFW-BNE in one hop.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 30, 2013 at 6:36 am