FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX to SYD
Thread: LAX to SYD
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:02 am
jykt

Programs: DL Platinum, QF, VA, AA, UA, US, SQ, EK, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Fairmont
Originally Posted by ashill
I do SYD-LAX-XXX-YYY 2-4 round trips a year, always in economy. I usually get an exit row seat when on Delta metal, but usually a regular economy seat when on VA (Virgin Australia) metal. It's fine; much shorter than the SYD-Europe trip I have today (in economy, 10-across on the EY 777 for the 14 hour flight one way).

I'm careful to do plenty of walking around the plane to keep comfortable. Really, once the flight is over 10 hours or so, it's just a long flight: I zone out, do some reading, watch a movie or two, and try to sleep a bit. In fact, for going to the eastern or central US, I really like the Qantas 16 hour SYD-DFW nonstop to get the long flight done in one fell swoop. (Again, my only experience is economy.) I find the short domestic flight in the US end to be more painful than the long haul that proceeded it, partly because narrow bodies have less room to walk around.

When coming home (to SYD), I often take the VA flight because it's an hour earlier. Lands around 6:30, which is typically the first flight in and thus beats the Customs rush, then do a full day at work with just a stop at home to drop my bags on the way.

FWIW, I'm 6' and skinny. So much to do in Australia; I'd certainly consider it worth it! To be fair, most Aussies (rightly) think that there's a lot more variety of interesting things in the States, but Australia is certainly worth a visit for an American.
To the OP: I would second @ashill's comments above.

Since 2011, I fly the LAX-SYD route 3-4 times a year, always in Economy Comfort, as it is free for DL Platinum). So far, I only had one OpUp to BusinessElite between SYD-LAX (last month between SYD and LAX, due to an influx of travelers escaping Australian winter for summer holidays in the US and beyond).

Personally, I find Economy Comfort on DL more than adequate for the long flight. I have only flown on DL metal so far. As far as possible, I always pick 31C or 31G - either of these two seats are ideal because they have extended leg room allowing me to stretch my legs underneath the curtain separating BusinessElite from Economy. Since I always hit the road running with work and appointments when I land, I tend to sleep between dinner and breakfast. For me, earplugs, eyeshades and melatonin (I buy the Trader Joe's variety) will do the trick for me. In between, I stand, stretch, and walk.

As an aside, I find myself appreciating DL's 9-abreast economy comfort seating on the 777-200L. Last week I flew on Emirates' infamous 10-abreast 777-300ER between SYD and DXB via BKK - Now, that is what I would call excruciating and cramped for a flight that is longer than the SYD-LAX route.

Last edited by jykt; Jul 27, 2013 at 1:08 am