FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Improvements to Same-Day Travel
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:55 am
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by misterbean
Wow, this is interesting on many levels.
First, a change after three months means something was very wrong, and they felt it immediately. A quick rectifying effort makes it seem like they admit a mistake.
Second, it's refreshing to see that somebody finally recognized that the SDC change was a huge slap in the face to elites and that while revenue is important, there are lines you shouldn't cross.
Third, it will be interesting to see the Q2 profits tomorrow. My guess is we'll see a large number. I wonder if DL underestimated its own profits, and looking to do some elite damage-control by waiving the $50 fee, in sacrifice of some future revenue, since other revenue sources are performing well.
I have a slightly different take on all this. DL seems to be in the habit of making major devaluations, then giving back a small sliver of a benefit to make them seem responsive. (T-72, SDC, etc.) Then when they do so, half the people who were pissed off thank them and forget the gutting they did in the first place. I'm of the belief the major "enhancements" are now planned this way from the beginning.