FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB-DUR on SAA J + BA J and the magnificent Oyster Box Hotel
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:33 am
SAtraveller

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Originally Posted by SFO777
SAtraveller, what a great report with beautiful pcs.
We don't see many SA trip reports so this is a treat.
Beautiful hotel and view from your room. Loved the monkey.
Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the kind reply, SFO777. I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time when you fly to JNB in October. I see you're flying Emirates First... just be wary, one of the three daily flights has the old First, and you don't want to be stuck with that!

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
SATraveller

Wonderful report, great photo's. I had heard that Durban was not great, but your photo's of the hotel, beach, ect were fabulous. The hotel looks lovely.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Thank you for the comment LongingForORD. I consider this to be the best of Durban. If you ever come to SA, I would recommend Cape Town and the Kruger National Park. The rest you can skip by

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Delightful report with wonderful pictures. I love a water view. And it was certainly nicer than the Durban Hilton where we stayed some years ago.

I particularly enjoyed the pictures of the hotel cat and the marriage proposal.
Thanks SanDiego1k... I'll bet. I don't think Durban is close to Cape Town in general quality and staying there can be a real hit and miss.

Originally Posted by TomVexille
Thanks for sharing SAtraveller

This just makes me want to visit SA even more.
And you definitely should TomVexille... we have a lovely country that is fantastic for tourists

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Nice report, thanks for posting. Loved the monkey!

On a random side note, it was great to see a photo or two of the airport at La Mercy. Many years ago - around '97 I think - while working in London I spent months working on a very long and involved (and ultimately futile) bid for the contract to build that airport. I remember the politics involved were horrendous, and concluded at the time that it would probably never get built. Having not given it a thought for years, I'm glad to see that it did finally materialise (though judging by this wikipedia entry it took its sweet time).
Thanks Mad_atta... I also enjoyed the monkey experience. I'm sure trying to obtain the tender for the Airport was a nightmare... anything that like here is about who you know, and less about what you can provide. I'm sure it couldn't have been nice. The airport did turn out really well, and they are expanding it soon to accommodate more international fare.