FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens after you're in a plane crash like OZ 214?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:22 pm
discoverCSG

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
I'm an ignorant 20 year old (not afraid to admit it :P ) and I need someone to explain to me what is wrong about grabbing your things? I'm asking in the context of like having your duffel under the seat in front of you, and neither seat is damaged. I can understand abandoning your personal items if you're blocking an aisle or exit to do so...

I just feel like if I were in that scenario, and I was physically able to do so, I would absolutely grab my carryon containing my laptop, phone, chargers, credit cards, passport, etc; essentially my life when I'm traveling...
Dude... your carryon, laptop, phone, chargers, credit cards, passport, etc. are NOT your "life" - they are your ***possessions*** - replaceable, possibly insured, and not critical to your ability to remain alive.

What's wrong about grabbing your things is that you are:

1. Almost necessarily "blocking an aisle or exit" while grabbing them.

2. Taking up space in that aisle or exit by having your bag there when other human beings might need to be in that space to avoid fire, smoke, etc.

3. Slowing down your own escape, thereby slowing the escape of anyone behind you. Just because you don't see a fire yet doesn't mean there won't be one.

4. Blocking the view of flight attendants, firefighters, and others who need to be able to see in order to save lives.

5. Risking unnecessary damage to escape slides.

6. Endangering the lives of said flight attendants, firefighters, and others whose job it is to save your self-described "ignorant" self - what if you get stuck and somebody has to come rescue you, and then they are injured or killed when things get worse due to fire, collapse, etc.? Do you really want to meet your Creator having cause the death of somebody else's mother/father/daughter/son/spouse in the interest of saving your carryon, laptop, phone, chargers, credit cards, passport, etc.?

That's what's wrong with grabbing your things.