FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US CBP Automated Passport Control
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:28 pm
cscube

Originally Posted by HNL
The Kiosks went live in Chicago today. Has anyone used them? I'm interested to hear how the process worked.
Went through on July 3rd. There were about a dozen of those machines, in the area next to the GE machines. You still have to stand in line and wait for the lady at the front to direct you to an empty machine, after she makes sure that you are holding a US passport. [This is great, as from my experience, there are more than quite a few people who stand in line in the citizen lane who hold foreign passports. When they reach the front, the lady never send them back to the other lane/side, so they always ended up slowing down everyone else behind them. And this time, the guy in front of me happened to be in that situation, and the lady sent him right back to the visitor section on the other side.]

When you get to the kiosk, slide in the passport face down, so the machine can read the photo page. Instructions on the machines are very clear about how to do this. Then you acknowledge all the info on screen and also answer a few questions concerning Customs Declaration (no more blue forms needed). At the end of the series of questions, the machine will generate a receipt with your photo on it - yes, the extra step is you'll have to take a photo of yourself (you can accept or retake it if you don't like the first one - I didn't bother with retaking, I think I looked like crap on mine after a long flight.)

Then you wait in line, which went pretty quickly to meet the CBP officer, who will make sure that you are you (photo identification) and maybe a few chit chats. Mine asked me what I did for a living, I think the officer next to mine asked the lady where she's coming back from. So, the usual CBP questions, depending on officer. There were only two officers behind two movable podiums on that day. They stamped the machine generated receipt instead of your passport. You will hand the receipt to the Customs officer when you leave the secure area after you collected your luggage.

The whole process was painless and efficient.
^