FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:54 pm
pashber

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Alaska, American, United
Same Day Spouse Application -- Pending??

Perhaps someone can explain what happened here. DH and I decided to apply separately for Chase Sapphire Preferred cards (for the 40K points per card, which we would transfer 1:1 to Hyatt). Our credit scores are 815. We just refinanced our house (reducing our mortgage payment by $500/month), although I don't think that would affect our ability to obtain credit.

I applied online, and was instantly approved with a $31,500 credit limit. No authorized user. An hour later, I put in my husband's application (also no authorized user) and he got one of those dreaded "7-10 day" decision responses.

As far as our prior/current Chase credit card accounts are concerned:

1. I have the no-fee Chase Freedom ($17.5K limit) which I obtained many years ago from Waterhouse. It was a sock-drawer card. I use it now primarily for the 5% Chase Freedom bonuses. DH is an authorized user.

2. I also have the United Mileage Plus Explorer Card ($23K limit) which I applied for 7/8/12. Once I got the 55K mile bonus (50K + 5K for adding an AU), it went into the sock drawer.

3. DH also has a United Mileage Plus Explorer Card ($23K limit), applied for on 6/10/12. Once the bonus miles were credited, it went into the sock drawer. When it comes up for renewal (probably in August), he will close the account. DH and I are authorized users on each other's card.

4. The only other Chase card that DH has had was the British Air (100K bonus card). He closed that account in April 2011 (to avoid the annual fee).

Other than the United cards, all we applied for within the past 2 years have been: (1) Citibank American Advantage card (mine), for the 50K miles (Oct. 2012, $22K limit), and (2) an upgrade to his AMEX Hilton Surpass card about 5 months ago ($33K limit). Previously, we were heavily invested in Hhonors (he is a Diamond), but ever since the massive devaluation, we have been searching for alternative ways to cover our hotel stays.

Last edited by pashber; Jul 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm