FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fidelity 2% cashback Amex vs other rewards cards
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:04 pm
levander

Originally Posted by bribro
In most cases, the best value for UR points comes from transferring them to United or Hyatt. A common valuation is $0.02 per point, but it's different for everyone. Any other use for UR points (statement credits, gift cards, merchandise, etc.) is a waste IMO. Especially gift cards because you can buy those for 5x using your Ink.
When I first starting looking into this credit card stuff a year ago, the 2 pennies for a UR point is what I saw around and made me not interested in it.

But I'm reviewing this stuff again, and it looks to me like this guy is talking about redeeming UR points for over 10 pennies a point, in his example going through the British Avios program: Link

If it's the case where you can get up to 10 pennies a UR point, why are people using 2 pennies a point as the common valuation for those things?

I noticed that example just after my app-o-rama for this year. I'm glad I got a Chase Freedom card. It was an incidental pick-up that I just got a lot just because of curiosity. But after seeing that example... Damn glad I went ahead and got that card even though I didn't really need it. I don't usually get stuff like that. Just after hearing so much about Chase cards and not understanding why everyone was so crazy about them...