FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do you need a cell phone away from home?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:55 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by TheHawk2002
I'm wondering what the advantages are to a pre-paid SIM card and what they actually do. And why you would actually need them?
Depending on where you go and with whom, phone:
- can coordinate with travel companions, without having to either spend 24/7 together (OK with my wife but nice to have the option to get away, gets old almost immediately with any of the buddies I occasionally travel with) /or/ spend time sitting and waiting at prearranged rendezvous.
- in urban settings, often quicker to call a cab than wait in a taxi rank or wait for one to pass to hail one (if safe at all; some places I've been it's generally considered unsafe)
- restaurant reservations
- check in with family/loved ones at home or be reachable by them in emergencies
- if you're single and unattached, I'm told it's sometimes useful if trying to pick up local company

Data:
- Maps!!! Seriously, this one is rarely that helpful on wifi, as it's when you're lost -- rather than at a cafe -- that it's most useful ... and I haven't yet found a really good offline mapping app for outside the US.
- Search for local amenities/restaurants/transit... yes, you can ask for recommendations, but if the choice is some guy recommending his brother-in-law's place vs. the crowdsourced wisdom of the internet, well, I know which one I'd bet.
- Translation -- yes, there are phrasebook apps, but the ability to pull up specific requests/instructions on Google translate is SWEET. Plus, in many cases, if you can get a local keyboard (or you're going someplace they use our alphabet), a lot of people can answer by typing into the phone.
- Check in at home more cheaply without using minutes (wifi works for this one, assuming your hotel has it and has a decent connection)

I would love to NOT check email while on vacation but if I NEED to, can I use a pre-paid SIM with a data package to do that?
Depending on where you go, the answer is usually yet. Certainly on Bali proper.

I'm headed to Bali and then an outer island where I am assuming will not have cell coverage!
I've not been, but basic GSM cell coverage is available in surprisingly rural places these days. I wouldn't bet on any kind of high speed data, of course.