FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grapes, Glaciers, Geysers, and a Giant Buddha: NZ, HKG, and NRT in VA J, QF F, & DL J
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:40 pm
mtkeller

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Part 4: NZ Koru Club Lounge BNE and BNE-WLG with VA

4) NZ Koru Club Lounge BNE and BNE-WLG with VA

I was one of the few international transit passengers inbound from LAX, so clearing Australian transit security was a breeze (although a bit of a walk from our arrival gate). I asked for a freedom baggie for the liquids from my VA amenity kit, which was quickly offered. Forgot to put the toothpaste in it, but they didn't notice/care.

After a long flight there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that I want more than a shower. Since it wasn't clear if I needed a lounge invite to get into the Koru Club Lounge at BNE, I headed to the transfer desk once I got to the departures level. The desk agent there said that since my BP indicated I was "gold", I should have no issue. I get to the NZ lounge and the dragon there pulls out a microprint chart about the myriad ways that someone can get into the lounge while flying VA. Since the flight does not offer business class and I don't have VA status, she said I needed a lounge invite. She did let me leave my bags while I walked back to the transfer desk. A lounge invitation was promptly issued, and I headed to the shower.

The shower rooms here were a bit dodgy to put it mildly. The shower was decent with tile walls and a glass door:

However, there was a floor drain not only in the shower cubicle but also in the floor outside the shower. I was glad that I'd put everything up out of the way, as there was a lot of water that made it out of the shower even with a good door. It was so bad that I felt obligated to wring out the shower mat before putting it in the soiled linens bin. There was also not a toilet in the shower room, which I always find frustrating. The furniture was also really high end, as evidenced by the use of a white plastic patio chair.

Style notwithstanding, the shower was refreshing and did not feature the sauna-like atmosphere that I so despise in the otherwise well-appointed showers in the AF lounges at CDG.

Feeling awake and refreshed, I figured it was worth exploring the breakfast options even though I'd had a full one not that much before. I've mislaid my notes from this part of the journey, so my apologies for not having better information on the spread. It was pretty standard non-American lounge fare. As you can see, I had some scrambled eggs, a couple of nice pastries, and some bacon with OJ:

They also had yoghurt, cereals, and fruit. The self-serve bar was also stocked with a variety of NZ wines and other options that have totally escaped me at the moment. The wifi was reliable and fast enough for my purposes, so I caught up on email and before long it was time to head to the gate. Being a short-haul flight compared to most of the international service at BNE, it was a fairly long walk to the gate, and I got there about five minutes before boarding commenced. Passengers in Premium Economy and VA/partner elites were invited to board first, and so I headed down the jetway.

Virgin Australia 66
Brisbane (BNE) – Wellington (WLG)
Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Depart: 0850
Arrive: 1510
Duration: 3hr20min
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Seat: 1A (Premium Economy Class)

I really don't understand why VA maintains a separate 738 subfleet for trans-Tasman operations that retains a premium economy cabin rather than doing 2-2 business seating as they have for their domestic flights. Perhaps because their partner NZ generally doesn't even offer a full business project? Anyway, this is a step down from the oft-maligned EuroBiz offered by AF, BA, LH, etc. The seats are basically the same (tray table folds down from middle seat and center armrests move in a bit), but the legroom has absolutely zero enhancement over standard Y. The bulkhead seats on these birds are tight, so I'd take row 2 if you can get it.

The FAs were great, however. I was welcomed personally by name and there was an NZ arrival card, newspaper, and bottle of water waiting for me at my seat. (Easy for them to do since I was the only passenger in premium economy on this flight.) I was content with any paper, but some of the Kiwi passengers who asked about newspapers during boarding (apparently Y pax can have them, too) were disappointed that only The Australian was available.

There is no coat closet, so my coat was not hung. I was asked about further beverages, but was content with water for the time being. During lulls in boarding, I was informed that all food and beverage would be complimentary for me on the flight, but it would be whatever was offered for sale in economy. I could also use a Dig-e-player for free. I believe the standard charge is AU$10 or AU$15. For those interested, these devices come with two headphone jacks so you can watch something with a companion.

We took off more or less on time, and the FAs pretty quickly were up to offer the Dig-e-players. I took one and managed to find a couple of things to watch, but the selection is very limited. I probably would have made better use of my entertainment time by just using my iPad.

After electronics were distributed, the meal service began. The flight's timing is a bit awkward, since it departs before 0900 Queensland time but arrives in New Zealand well after lunch NZ time. The flight offered breakfast, and I opted for the crepes with berries and sauce, fresh fruit, a muffin, and some juice.

It was edible, but that's about all I can say for it. I guess it kept me from needing to find lunch until I was scheduled to meet up with my friend in Wellington. Certainly not something I'd be eager to pay for if seated in Y, but given restrictions on bringing food into NZ, I might do it rather than grab something in the airport and then wind up having things I can't bring in if there are leftovers.

Before long, we began our approach into WLG. I quickly realized that I had selected the wrong side of the aircraft (and not for the last time on this trip). The great views of the South Island as we flew over the Cook Strait were all on the right-hand side. Not that the views on the left were awful, but it's basically Wellington and suburbs with a bit of nice coastline and hills. In talking to my friend, she said that most approaches from Oz come in, overshoot the airport, and then turn back to the west to land. Thus, it seems like grabbing a seat on the right-hand side will be preferable if flying from Oz to WLG.