FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long term USA airline FF elite strategy
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:14 am
stupidzbu

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I think this will boil down to do you want the status benefits on United which are above and beyond the *A status benefits.

As sdsearch says, the big downfall is no early guaranteed E+ or elite benefits on United if you are star silver on another airline. No early comp upgrades on *g through another airline and sometimes you gotta show your card to make them force your free check-in bags. No easy regional or global upgrades etc. So if you are flying United every week and other star alliance partners once or twice a year, it will depend on whether you want to give up your benefits on United.

United also allows 1-way and no-fuel-surcharge redemptions which most *A partners don't.

Basically, this was an easy way out for United to tighten their frequent flyer program whil e keeping the big spenders happy and weaning out the mileage runners and deal-conscious people.
solid points, but let's break it down

Elite status gives you 2 (sometimes 3) free bags and sometime heavier bags for free. This, I believe, is an Alliance benefit not specific to an airline, although individual airline rules may apply.

So if I get *G with A3, I won't lose that bennie. If I get an airline CC, I already have priority boarding and 1 bag free, no harm no foul.

The one way redemption and no-fuel-surcharge is HUGE IMHO