FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:31 am
Dark Blue

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
IC Tokyo Bay

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
NO

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest Ambassador Weekend rate and initially received 1 King Bed Deluxe Corner with Tokyo Gay View on a low floor.

After a call to the reception, upgraded to Executive Room which is basically a recently renovated Deluxe Corner on an executive floor (the top two floors).

How are the rooms?
Small…
Comfortable bed
Separate walk-in shower & tiny bathtub with a large window overlooking the Tokyo Bay
Boring Agraria toiletries
Minibar with a very poor selection of spirits, mostly Japan-local soft drinks (green tea, sports drink, vegetable juice, etc.)
iPhone/iPod dock

How is the exec. lounge?
I went there to discuss problems with a manager. Apart from it, I did not use it at all.

What was your welcome gift?
A box of IC-branded chocolates. There was a bottle of red wine, but I was not aware that it was a welcome gift but I just thought it’s a minibar item…

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, it was in the minibar fridge. I only glanced at the fruits plate.

What was good and what was bad?

Good
- Friendly staff
- Not an airport hotel, but they provide an airport shuttle bus (3,000 JPY)
- “Washlet” = electronic toilet with several functions like a water spray

Bad
- I was initially only upgraded to a dated Deluxe room even though the Executive room was available on arrival (5-6pm)
- I emailed the hotel to inform it would be my birthday stay and expect a memorable experience, which was ignored. The email was directed to managers, however, a front desk agent failed to pass it onto the management and did nothing. Absolutely nothing special, even BA prepared a handwritten birthday card for me!
- I also added a query to the email regarding the lounge access. They confirmed I could still get it as an RA for the stay though they would stop giving free access in the near future. Nonetheless, I was not given the access on check in…
- Almost no recognition of the Royal Ambassador programme at the front desk. A manager told me that the general staff of reception were lacking in understating the Royal Ambassador programme, so I was told to come to the lounge for checking-in (but it was my first stay, never known where it was located, moreover you need a key to access the executive floor…). I asked if this was due to new staff as a Japanese business year starts in April, but I was told that generally the front desk agents did not fully understand the programme.
- Due to the ongoing renovation, the fact is also that they can not always upgrade RA’s at this moment.

Value for £ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
NO, I rather avoid it! I would not recommend choosing IHG properties in Tokyo. It is not involved in any hotel chain, but I will stay at the Imperial palace next time, which offers a high level of professional service and comfort.