FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planes, Trains, Automobiles and a Boat
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:05 pm
Spymon

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Part 3: My Surprise: An Epic Ardeche Train Journey

After an early lunch of lamb Provençal (cooked by me no less) that went down very well it was time for my surprise. Speeding along the twisting roads of Ardeche (not the best idea after a filling lunch) we arrive at a small train station for an epic train journey on the Gorge du Doux Velorail.

Velorail by Spymon26, on Flickr

There was a small problem, we arrived to torrential rain and watched our fellow passengers huddled under cover awaiting the safety briefing. After taking in the basic information; don’t get too close to the train in front and that the trains have a speed limiter (boo!) we were on our way to train 24 at the back of the line.

Having done a Velorail trip a few years ago which although fun was incredibly exhausting I was apprehensive to say the least especially as it was pouring down with rain and there was no opportunity to change drivers. In the end there was no need to worry as this Velorail was a lot more passenger friendly, they even mistakenly thought I was a foreign exchange student (I have to say in my opinion I would be one of the oldest and baldest looking 15 year olds around but what the hell!) The rain began to ease and we began peddled our way down the 120 year old Vivarais Railway Line. After an unremarkable beginning the trees gave way to spectacular views of the gorge and the opportunity to travel at a reasonable speed.

By the time we reached the end of the line we were disappointed it was over but at least we wouldn’t have to peddle back up hill as we would be transported on the historic Billard rail-car for the ascent.

After a very bumpy trip back along the line it was time to thank the staff and head home for the day as tomorrow we were off to Aix en Provence.