FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best airline for leisure traveler?
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:10 am
sj22
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by arollins
I agree with eponymous_coward comments. DTW-EWR is 976 miles rt, while DTW-ORD-PEK is 13628miles rt. If you only go to PEK once a year, you still need 11372 miles to achieve the lowest elite status with UA, that will translate to 12 rt DTW-EWR.
AA has routing for PEK via ORD from DTW, however they do not have direct service DTW-EWR, it will have to be to LGA. If that works for you, the above #s still work, you will need 12 rt DTW-LGA to obtain the minimum elite status with AA.

If looking for free baggage, priority boarding, seating, etc, then you have to look on a credit card that offers that and use that carrier, both UA and AA have that. If you are looking for upgrade possibility on the domestic part (DTW-EWR), I presume most aircraft are regional jets with no first class so no good here, upgrades on international flight, you are out of luck also as your status is too low to earn upgrade vouchers (SWU).

If looking at award redemption, on the above examples, you will get a little over 25k miles year provided you fly enough to achieve status, that is enough for a mile saver domestic rt award from DTW. If churning credit cards, then depending on how many cards you churn, that determines how many rt you can get. Typically cc give 35k miles, that is a rt domestic ticket. For international award redemption, it takes around 50-60k miles for saver rt award.

I think with this you already have enough information to make a decision. You have to determine what is really important for you. Personally, I will go with what is the cheapest, comfortable and convenient way to achieve what I want.

If your travel patterns change, or if you do go to PEK more than 1x a year, then you certainly have enough to achieve low elite status.

You might want to check the CC forum to check on churning cards. True, citi is easier than chase.

Good Luck
:-::-::-::-::-: Excellent Analysis. If you won't mind, I will copy and save your post for a dozen family members who keep asking me what airline they should fly for the 1 or 2 flights they plan to take this year.