FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with an engagement ring
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:48 pm
jspira

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
I do not have any pants with zippered pockets, but I will take your suggestions to place it on my person while traversing customs & immigration. Worst case scenario, I could hide it in my shoe. Also, what is the red channel?

I think this is a terrible idea. The more carefully it is hidden, the more it looks as if you are smuggling something.

No one here has asked the value of the ring, so I will ask. It matters if we are talking about $5,000 or $25,000 for example.

Personal items that you intend to leave the country with don't have to be declared but there are exceptions which may be based on gold content (I think it's 500 g but not sure).

The problem is that you are not going to leave the country with it. You are giving it as a gift to someone else, who will then presumably leave the country with it. That changes things as it is no longer a personal item, it's a gift.

Finally, call your insurance broker and have him add the ring to your scheduled items so that you are insured without a deductible in the event of a loss.