FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with an engagement ring
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:03 pm
kdoughboy

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would place the ring in a tie or scarf holder that has a couple of ties/scarves and a single tie clip/brooch inside a cabin bag with a non-TSA lock on the bag that has just clothes otherwise. I would have the ring inside two ziploc bags so it can be easily located if dropped and include my contact info on it.
I am not bringing ties nor scarves, but your overall message seems to be to nest it among something else so as to make it inconspicuous. I think the glasses case idea is probably the closest to this.

On board the plane just before descent, taking out the ring and placing it in a zippered pocket of a pant you are wearing on arrival would almost certainly go unnoticed at CDG even were you to walk the red channel.
I do not have any pants with zippered pockets, but I will take your suggestions to place it on my person while traversing customs & immigration. Worst case scenario, I could hide it in my shoe. Also, what is the red channel?

Originally Posted by Often1
As to travel safety, just keep it in your hand as you go through security and on your person otherwise. At the hotel, keep it in the hotel (not room) safe.
How do you propose I keep it in my hand while going through security? I will be opting out of the nude-o-scope (as I always do), and during that process they make you stand with your palms open.

Opting out of the strip search machine is going to come with a very high probability of the TSA manually inspecting your bags and its contents.
What makes you say that? I've opted out literally every time I have been presented with a nude-o-scope (which has been plenty of times) and I've only ever had my bags inspected a couple times, both times for a particular item they couldn't quite make out.