FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with an engagement ring
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:25 pm
kdoughboy

Traveling with an engagement ring

I am flying to Paris in a week and will be bringing a diamond engagement ring with me to propose to my girlfriend while we're there. I am concerned about the security of the ring while going through airport security (LAX), customs & immigration (CDG), and while around Paris before I pop the question.

Regarding security at LAX:
I plan to place the ring either inside the ring box in a shoe (then stuffed with socks) in our rollaboard carry-on, or in a small plastic bag inside an envelope in my personal item. Another idea I just had is to place the ring in a small plastic bag, wrap the bag with a cleaning cloth for my glasses, and place the cloth+ring in my glasses case. Regardless of what I do, it will be carried on, NOT checked, so that it is with me at all times. Of these options, which do you think is most secure, and which is least likely to catch the TSA's eye? I would really like to keep this a surprise, and a ring catching their attention could theoretically ruin the surprise if they want to inspect it at the checkpoint. TSA theft is also a minor concern as I will be opting out of the body scan. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Regarding customs & immigration at CDG:
Since I want to keep this a surprise, I don't want to declare the ring upon entry into France/Schengen area. Am I risking any problems if I don't declare it and it is found during a luggage inspection? Even if they do an inspection, are they likely to look inside a shoe that's stuffed full of socks, or in a sealed envelope or inconspicuous glasses case? On that note, do they x-ray your luggage, hand search, or both?

Around Paris:
I am aware that pick-pockets are a problem around Paris, especially on the Metro and at popular tourist sites. I'd love to hear ideas for how to keep the ring securely on my person while also maintaining secrecy. I plan to pop the question within the first couple days there, so after that it will be securely on her finger. Note that we do have a Pacsafe bag we will be using as a day pack, so I could either keep it in my pocket or stored deep in the bag (perhaps hidden in a glasses case as mentioned earlier in this post). Also note, it is a nice and beautiful ring, but by no means is it flashy nor does it have a particularly large stone. In my opinion, it should not attract undue attention once it's on her hand.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kdoughboy; Jun 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm