FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oz Fest #10 – Perth Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 24-26, 2013
Old May 20, 2013, 2:42 am
*A Flyer

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Important information - please read

From the email I just sent. Where attachments are referenced, please see the email.

-----------

This email contains important information about the OzFest activities and itinerary. Please read it carefully as the information will in most cases be useful and in some cases be critical.

Thank you for signing up to some or all of OzFest 10 being held in Perth in under a week. Some of you may already be on your way; in any case, have a safe trip whether travelling from the suburbs, the East Coast or further afield.

Information regarding each event is contained below as well as some general information about Perth.

General

All events for OzFest will be held in or originate from the Perth CBD. For events held outside the CBD details are contained in the individual event listings below. For events in the CBD (or if you are travelling throughout), a range of transport options exist. Importantly, the CBD is contained within the Perth CAT area which gives you access to public buses for free within the area (and on the routes) described in the attached document.

Relevant venues are listed on this map: http://goo.gl/maps/BOrU4

Most events for OzFest have been prepaid. Please be reminded that your meals and activities in Fremantle, winery fees and lunch on the Wine Tour and Sunday Dinner are payable at the event. Drinks are also additional costs for the Friday and Saturday dinners. Additional details are included in each event listing. For all meals, I have advised the venues of dietary restrictions where advised. If you haven't told me, I can't get the venue to do anything so tell me if this is an issue.

The weather for Perth (touch wood) is expected to be fantastic with sunny skies and highs in the mid-20s (that's mid-to-high-70s for those of you stuck in the dark ages). This is a marked improvement over last year in Canberra.

A list of flights and event attendance coming and going has been posted on the Flyertalk thread. Please have a look at these as you may be in a position to guest another attendee into a lounge or meet up with them at a prior or onward destination. Getting into Perth can be achieved either by taxi (about $35) or by bus (2 zones, $4).

Anyway, enough of the general items, time for some details.

Friday Pre-Dinner Drinks

There will be pre-dinner drinks at Rigby's Bar (221 St Georges Tce) from about 6pm. This is just around the corner from the Hilton and in a good location to catch the bus to dinner (see below). All drinks are pay as you go. Please note that we do not have a dedicated space so those of you who arrive early should stake out some space for the others.

Friday Dinner

The Friday dinner is at Uncle Billy's Chinese Restaurant in Northbridge. Dinner is at 8pm and the address is 66 Roe St, Perth. This is walkable from the CBD (more so from Hilton than Hyatt) and is on the Blue CAT bus. Get off at stop 14 or 15 for the shortest walk. The restaurant is fully BYO so if you would like any alcoholic beverages please stop by one of the many bottleshops in Perth or Northbridge to find an acceptable bottle. Both wine and beer are acceptable and corkage is included. A copy of the menu is attached.

Saturday Morning Walk

Those of you who signed up for the walk have already received an email but here goes again. Martin (acrossthenullabor) will be leading a short walk through King's Park in the early hours of Saturday morning. The walk will depart from the foyer of the Hilton at 7:45am. The walk will take about 90 minutes and end at the Barrack St Jetty from which the Fremantle cruise will depart. The walk will not wait for latecomers. Leave time if coming from another hotel (particularly the Hyatt).

Fremantle Cruise

For those of you who have booked on for the Fremantle cruise, please be at the Barrack St Jetty by 9:15am. Boarding of our vessel commences shortly thereafter. The cruise will take approximately 75 minutes from Perth to Fremantle. Once in Fremantle, you will be free to pick and choose your sights. For lunch, there will be a couple of options; perthite will lead a group to Cicerello's for some quality seafood and I will lead a group to the Little Creatures Brewery for some well prepared pub classics and some of Australia's best beer (both are located in the Fishing Boat Harbour area). You may, of course, find your way into any of the great restaurants and cafes in the area.

In terms of sights, take a look at the E-Shed Markets, Cappuccino Strip, Fremantle Prison, Maritime Museum and Fishing Boat Harbour. See post 415 for details.

Transport is either on foot, using the Fremantle CAT bus (free) or you can get on the hop-on, hop-off tram tour ($25) which seems a little expensive.

Transport back to Perth is by your medium of choice. Taxis are possible (about $40) but the cheapest and quite convenient option is a train from Fremantle station to Perth (2 zones, $4).

Saturday Dinner

The Saturday dinner is at the Grand Hyatt Perth at 7:30pm. We are being hosted in the Traders Lounge and signage should be evident at the property. The menu is attached and drinks are additional. The meal itself is buffet style so pick and choose what you like from the menu listed. A limited drinks menu (including basic beer, wine, spirits and soft drink) will be available in the function room but you are free to bring in drinks from the bar if you are looking for something more exotic. The bar is a short distance from the room so this should be easy enough.

Swan Valley Wine Tour

We have two buses.

Bus 1 will pick up pax staying at the 4 Points, Holiday Inn and Hyatt (pick up at Holiday Inn at 9:40am, Hyatt 9:50am). If staying at 4 Points please make the short walk to Holiday Inn.

Bus 2 will pick up pax staying at the Novotel and Hilton departing Hilton at 9:50am.

For the Wine Tour we will be visiting 4 wineries, a chocolate factory and a brewery (details). Please ensure that you bring $30 cash on the day for the winery tasting fees. If you choose not to keep your tasting glass from Harris Organic Winery you will get $7 back, some of these fees may also be refunded if you make a purchase. You will also need cash for your lunch and drinks at Feral Brewing Co as the bill cannot be split. I will have some change to assist the process but you will need cash. A menu for lunch (including prices) is attached.

Some participants have flights from PER during the afternoon, please let me know ASAP when your flights are so we can organise to have you at the airport in time.

Sunday Dinner

This event is for those still in town. It is a casual dinner at The Grosvenor Hotel. It is located around the corner from the Hyatt. Meals will be a la carte - just order when you get there. We have a room booked for us from about 7pm. A menu is attached.

I hope all this helps. If you have questions, please let me know. If not, see you in Perth.

Last edited by *A Flyer; May 20, 2013 at 3:10 am