FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The points and miles blog business model
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013, 5:30 pm
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
I think there's a difference between a 'newbie' (in the Flyertalk sense, comes here to become an expert in these dark arts) and the 'general public'.

With a publicist and all sorts of media appearances now, for instance, TPG certainly looks to be targeting the general public for advice.

That's a large group of folks who might be interested in "what's the best credit card?" but probably not "how can I maximize 4-6 credit cards every 90 days, and extract retention bonuses before the annual fees come do?"

There's nothing wrong with either approach, I think, they are just meeting the needs of a different set of people. And going after a broader audience may be more profitable.

10,000 people signing up for 16 cards a year vs. 10 million people signing up for 1 and then might get sold a second card.
So at some point we are going to see Gary or Seth or Daraius on Today or Fox and Friends talking about buying Shell gift cards at Office Depot with the Ink Bold!?

Of the three Daraius definitely has the Matthew Lesko/Randy Petersen thing going on: