FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi cards closed, TYP confiscated, reasons not disclosed.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:56 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
you see, people, I am very passionate about this end of miledum. It has been my MO since like day one in here--many moons ago.

Company X offers promo A
Company X changes or ends promo A OR kicks people out who are doing promo A
Company X still has to pay out on promo A

or

People sue Company X and Company X pays out on promo A.

repeat

I've seen it a hundred times and have had my own relatively successful experiences with it in both companies and financial institutions. Same game every time.

You think WE are a problem? They actually go to the ends of the earth to see who will actually litigate! They are scammers, not us. Never doubt this.

now, here's a semi related scenario which could be a bit like what might transpire with citi if one takes them to task:

Payal gets on my case after I push 'too many' moneypaks into my paypal acct and then take out my money (withdrawl to bank acct linked to pp)

I contact them and after making it up many levels of CSR to supervisors, etc, I talk with someone who says, and I quote: Well sir it's not in our terms that you cant do that, but we dont like it so we could freeze your account.

My reply: I will now need the name and address of your legal council because that just DOES NOT fly!

Their reply to this - after a long pause: Well, um there's no need for that um sir... just slow down your deposits and withdrawls and do some activity with the money you put in paypal...

Now I put in say $2k a week and let it sit a week and then withdrawl it to my bank. Has worked without issue for a year+. Same with another family member's acct. I just dont take out the money right away.

Seem obvious to some? Maybe. But the fact is they admitted they do not even have T&Cs forbidding the activity!

I would beg to offer that yes, if you do a certain large amount of something with any promo or gig or bank or whatever, your name comes up above the radar screen. Sure. But unless you are breaking some sort of rules with them--that can be CLEARLY defined and defended to a T, then you should not be concerned.

Yes if Citi were to shut me down I could have issues trying to get AA miles because now I wouldn't have a AA CC but as for banks and equity lines, I could get another in a heartbeat so who cares. They don't care about me, a babbling FTer, and I don't/cant care about them, a poorly run bank.

T&Cs have to be clear. If Citi has issues with people buying $1,007.90 worth of something every day at CVS then they have to pretty much state that IN the terms! If they do not, screw em.

If I were shut down by them now, I would demand my points. All of them. I would take them to the AGO and then to SC court. I would win. There's also a 99% chance they would probably contact me to settle out of court. They MAY decide to provide THEIR cash value of the TY points and cover court costs, or they may give me access to the points for use as any open acct has, but with no new way to add more.

In the T&Cs the way I read them, there is nothing against using your card, paying it off a lot, using it again, buying anything we buy, or earning points on that.

But of course, THEY have the money and currently the power. It was a wise old friend of mine who once said it all comes down to the fact that they want to keep control of that, and not let you have any of it. Since we do have a lot of control with this TY card, they are upset and need to shut it down. Again, you simply combat that move by suing them outright.

Call me what you will, but it works. I wish it didn't have to come to this, but it does, and like I said, I have run into it a lot myself. Why? is that some sort of flaw in my personality that I somehow attract this type of thing and am sue happy or something? No. I just do not like it when the outline I wrote above about company X and promo A does not work exactly like I wrote it.

thank you and good luck in your own situations.

MM