FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does UA issue online boarding passes for inbound USA flights?
Old May 7, 2013, 2:08 pm
villox

Programs: UA GS
Why does UA issue online boarding passes for inbound USA flights?

I can almost always print a boarding pass online when returning to the US, despite the fact that procedures at the airport render the boarding pass useless. Just in the past year at DEL, CDG, SJO, and LHR, I had boarding passes issued online (or in the case of LHR, from an LH agent in DUS), but in each of these cases I was supposed to stand in line at the regular checkin desk to either get some stamp or be questioned by an ICTS rep to get a security sticker.

I think I was even able to get a mobile boarding pass at CDG though I can't recall.

I know better now, but why does United even issue these, or why doesn't it issue a warning that you MUST checkin to get your sticker first? Or am I missing some trick to actually expedite this if I don't have checked luggage?

Some times (like in the case of CDG) I want to stand in line so I can get a fast track pass for immigration or security, though last time the checkin took longer than the time I saved.