FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)
Old May 5, 2013, 3:07 am
Dark Blue

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
InterContinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu

I am currently staying at the brand-new IC Marseille - Hotel Dieu. I was told that it just opened on 3 May (soft opening in April).

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay ?
Yes as a non-status guest, maybe no as a Royal Ambassador

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest advance rate and received an Executive King Harbour with Terrace on the 5th floor

This hotel is now offering a “Try Us Out” rate (advance rate with breakfast, late checkout, etc.), which I did not see when I made my booking…

How are the rooms?
Small as the terrace takes almost one third of the room space.
Elegant contemporary design with high ceiling
Terrace overlooking Basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde & Harbour
Seating area, no desk but a round table only.
Comfortable bed
Separate walk-in shower & large bathtub with Clarins toiletries
Minibar with a very poor selection of drinks (No wine, 2 x Heineken, 2 x Absolut Vodka, 2 x Pastis Artisanal, 2 x Jonny Wlker, 1 x Jack Daniel, 1 x Bacardi)
No iPhone/iPod dock

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A, but one drink per day coupon given daily to RA’s

What was your welcome gift?
Local biscuits in a tin box

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes (apple, pear, kiwi, and plum)

What was good and what was bad?

Good
- Obviously NEW!
- Very friendly and professional staff
- Right next to the old town and a min-walk to the harbour
- Elegant appearance lit up at night
- Elegant reception area

Bad
- You need a room key to enter the hotel site, which I never thought about. When I arrived at the hotel, a couple of security guys stopped me asking something in French. I told them that I did not speak French, then surprisingly one guy said in a rude manner (yes, it was very rude) “OK, what do you want?”. I was like “?”, then he kept saying “Why here, what do you do?”. I was speechless.
- €15 for Health club (steam & dry saunas, Hammam, jacuzzi, etc.). Only 24-hour gym & swimming pool are free to all hotel residents.
- Minibar…
- Cleaning ladies are amateurish. They came into my room without knocking a couple of times. I was a bit embarrassed as a lady opened the door whilst I was wearing jeans. She almost screamed and slammed the door apologising (I guess) in French, which I did not understand.

Value for £ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes only if I need to stay in Marseille. I probably go for Carlton Cannes if I travel to the south of France on holiday.