FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can't downgrade Amex HH Surpass to free card?
Old May 3, 2013, 6:03 pm
nccarguy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by elmedico27
I've had a Hilton Amex for a couple years now, first the no-fee one, then I upgraded to Surpass back in December. I just took a new job and won't be traveling as much, so I sent a secure message asking to be downgraded back to the no-fee. Here's the Amex response:

Anyone ever received this before? Why won't they let me downgrade? Should I call Amex CS or am I stuck with the Surpass?
I had the Delta Reserve card and asked to switch to the Hilton Surpass card in December as I was not flying Delta much after a switch to US Airways. They responded within an hour to my email. I was told ok after I agreed to product switch and forfeiture of any unearned Delta miles (there were none). After receiving the card I got 40,000 Hilton points posted to my account. I neve thought I would get bonus points for changing the card.

Fast forward to Monday. I emailed Amex and stated that I was unhappy with Hilton's point devaluation but was happy with Amex and asked if I could change the card again to a Costco True Earnings Card. Within a couple of hours I got an response stating I could not switch to the Costco card but if I wanted rewards I could switch to the Blue Cash or Blue Cash preferred. I asked for the Blue Cash Rewards. This morning my card has been switched on the website.

Two cards swaps in less than 6 months. I would ask again