FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise
Old May 2, 2013, 1:50 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part 8 BA098 Toronto Pearson International T3 to London Heathrow T5
British Airways, Club World, 63J/K Boeing 747-400 - 8th April 2013
3556 miles flown, 35 Tier Points, 7106 Avios earned.

The Pictures:I headed aboard to greet the crew - who said someone is a bit happy (well I did get OpUp'd... I have an excuse for once!). I was then directed to the upper deck.

I was welcomed to the upper deck by the crew And found a surprise waiting - 2 adults and 3 children (1 sub-18 months) were already in situ and making one hell of a racket.

What did I say business class and me not mixing? I was having a flashback to my New York trip, and quietly hoped the children would settle down once in flight.

Seat

As I settled into the J seat, the passenger in the K seat was getting more and more annoyed at the children making a racket, and went to be reseated on the main deck. I took the hint and switched to the window seat and put the noise cancelling headphones on as BA offer gate to gate IFE.

They work - that’s all I'm going to say

Headphones

The view from 63J before the switch

63K - after I made the switch. I found the extra distance helped.

Preflight drinks were offered... and taken.

Well - it’s BA. What else am I going to drink?

As boarding was completed, a thunderstorm passed over Toronto Airport - with a full ground stop and delay announced from the flight deck.

A touch wet outside...

However, the children seemed to take this as a time to throw a headrest cover around. And did the parents do something? Only when prompted by the crew.

Menus were handed out and offers were taken for those who wanted food - and for those who wanted breakfast. People were also warned that both services can take tube and impact their sleeping time. I went for dinner (as I skipped through most if the one on the ground) and if I was awake at breakfast to have breakfast.

Menu:

Eventually, loading was completed, and pushback commenced. There was a bit of delay after the pushback, but we begun a long taxi to 06L, where the 747-400's RB211's powered for the the short journey over the pond.

Taxing out

[youtube width=560" height=315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE0MzuyljEc[/youtube]

The 747 made a nice climb into the air, getting through the rough weather. I took it as an opportunity to flip the IFE system out. Whilst the IFE system about this unrefurbished Boeing 747-400 isn't as extensive as the systems aboard the 777-300ER's, it's content is enough to suit me.

Top Gear - 50 years of bond. Shaken, not stirred (Aston Martin DB5 from Skyfall)

As Richard Hammond exuded about Bond Cars and the DB5 , dinner arrived. Now I went for the Parmesan Chicken. Of course, I had a couple of lactaids to assist - well better safe than sorry in my book.

(Continued...)

Last edited by Kevincm; May 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm