FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back Into Action, Back to the Back – To Chicago with AA and BA - with a big surprise
Old May 2, 2013, 1:39 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part 3 Hyatt Regency O’Hare

The Photos:
Before the joy of the Hyatt Regency O’Hare, there is of course, the joy of US Immigration. For those who don’t know, the tips are simple to clear US Immigration in a hurry:
  • Sit as far front as you can to the plane
  • Complete all paperwork before landing
  • Make sure you’re off early and get to the passport booths as soon as possible.
Dawdling will cost you time turning what can be a 20 minute processing time into an hour plus... which at Chicago Immigration never seems to be any fun.

I raced off the plane, and got to an empty-ish immigration point, where the United flight had just begun unloading. Listening to the voices, the flight was from Germany. Nether the less, when I queued up finally after going through all the switchbacks, I was in the first row.

Immigration seemed to be processing people quickly, and I was processed just as quick. The usual immigration queries were asked as well as the amount of US Stamps in my passport formed the basis of my interview. My prints and picture were taken, my passport stamped with a nice thunk, and I was allowed to go through.

As I reached the belt, the first bags were coming off belt 1, with the rucksack appearing quickly, along with the ski bag right behind it on the oversized belt.

I proceeded to customs, where I was welcomed to the United States and invited to go straight ahead, allowing me to exit the immigration section. Bear in mind we landed and mated at the gate about 10:12. I was through the other side by 10:30 sharp.

Wow. It is possible to get through US Immigration in a reasonable amount of time.

I made a couple of calls, and then headed off to the taxi rank. As I was the only person there, I had to wait a few minutes for a cab to appear, but soon enough one did, and took me to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare with the minimum of fuss... and minimum of cost.

Heck - an honest airport taxi driver. What stars were aligned in the skies that morning???

Soon enough we were at the Hyatt, where the doorman welcomed me (and a familiar doorman - as he recognised me too!), and took my baggage up the check in level. I followed and went to check in.

Hyatt Regency O’Hare
Conference Rate. 2670 Points + 3000 Points Earned.

The check in areas were empty when I arrived, so I was dealt with quickly, with my room choices confirmed, and the electronic key cards issued. I was offered a 2pm check-out which I took advantage of. My bags and me then headed off to the 10th floor.

Now I always tend to go with a high level room in the main block as opposed to heading to the Executive Wing. Why? You try hiking to the Exec Wing at 2am in the morning when you’re half asleep... it’s a challenge enough when you’re awake...

I entered my room and found it to be the typical Hyatt Room that I have come to enjoy.

So, we’re looking at a typical Hyatt Regency Double room, with the beds I love, well appointed and still looking very nice.

Beds

Art - although a BAe 146 as art... hmmm

Alarm Clock, Welcome Newsletter

Now, as you know, I forgot a few things on my travels. Thankfully Hyatt offer a service where you can get some things to either borrow or have. I needed a razor, and sewing kits (yes, my bag was showing signs of being needing repair again).

Also of interest were the toiletries. Eh? Toiletries?

Some people loved it… others hated it. I'm of course referring to Hyatt's "White Ginger" range of bathroom smells they used to have. Well, they’ve been replaced. So what are they actually like?
The new kit is by KentMD (as opposed to Portico)... and looks like something below:

The Bathbar: Very neutral in smell. Effective and lathers up rather ok.

The Bodywash: A nice fragrance, leaving the skin clean

Shampoo/Conditioner: Again very neutral in fragrance. The shampoo didn't need a lot to clean my hair, whilst an even smaller amount of conditioner was needed.

The lip balm: Works a treat… especially after a long flight.

The power wash gave a nice feeling, whilst the body lotion did the job.

The cleansing bar again had a neutral fragrance, but again did the job.

For those who hate White ginger, it's a major improvement. For me, I like that the soap is pretty neutral, as are most of the other smells. What's more important is that they do the cleaning thing well... and that does me nicely.

The view outside wasn’t the greatest, but at least it was a high room

Well, I suppose I could do trainspotting...

However, there is one little thing about this Hyatt - it’s on the approach to O’Hare. Which means planes are on the approach to landing. And when you have a balcony with no glass in the way - this helps a lot...

Here’s a quick sample:

American Eagle ERJ

United Airlines Boeing 757-200

United Airlines Boeing 737-900ER

American Airlines MD-80

United Express CRJ-200

More of them at http://www.photoblog.com/kevincm/201...ncy-ohare.html

As usual, the conference staff at the Hyatt did a sterling job, helping me out where needed and delivering bits and bobs that would help me

Monday came, and with the list of jobs to do still surmountable after a busy weekend, I checked out at 10am, and headed off downtownish... to get things and sort a couple of other things out.

Overall: Another good performance by the Hyatt Regency O’Hare. Yes, it’s had its ups and downs... but all I’m seeing is up’s - and that can’t be a bad thing at all. The quality of service was good and timely, as was the staff who were their usual excellent selves.

Last edited by Kevincm; May 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm