FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] The Hilton Honors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:59 pm
wilp888

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
No longer able to downgrade Surpass card to no-fee card

After reading about the massive devaluation to the AXON awards, I called up American Express today to downgrade my Surpass card to the no-fee Amex card. The agent took all my information and told me it would be no problem and I would keep the same account number and even the same expiration date of my card. About 10 minutes later, she called me back and told me that as of 3 days ago, it was no longer possible to downgrade the Surpass card. If I wanted to switch to the no-fee Amex Hilton card, I would have to close the Surpass account and apply for the no-fee card as a new application. None of my credit history would carry over and I would get a brand new account number.

Apparently, so many people have been cancelling or downgrading the Surpass card that Amex have become very concerned and this is one of the decisions they have decided on to slow the process. The agent was very apologetic and said she just found out because she was on vacation. She offered me 10,000 points to stay with the card but said she couldn't waive the annual fee. Can anybody else confirm this?