FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Our First Photo Trip Report: ORD-CDG-FRA-ZRH-DUS-IST-MLE-SIN-HKG
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:02 am
flyhen

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
5. Zurich

After being hurried to the bus waiting for us at the bottom of the steps, we waited for another 5 minutes for some other "latter" passengers to arrive. But was soon whisked to our plane. And on our way to the tarmac, we passed by A380s after A380s and the one and only LH 747-8, and plenty others. It was like a kid in a candy shop for me. The flight towards Zurich was again a delight, just about the right amount of time to have a breakfast before we arrive.

Breakfast with bunt cake.

Approaching. Snowy.

The first thing that greeted us, an A330 (or is it B777?) landing. Wonder where these folks come from.

Soon after, the friendly clerk in the SBB terminal in ZRH welcomed us to their city, and was very helpful in telling us how to get to our hotel - Park Hyatt Zurich. This being my first ever visit to Swiss or Zurich, and I could already tell I am in love with the city. Clean streets, organized, and well-mannered people. What else can I ask for? Oh yeah, Mrs. was here in late September of 2012 for business trip, and turned out she knows the city pretty well, that saved me the time to do the homework. Sweet!

Our room in Park Hyatt. Mrs. stayed here last time as well, she felt she was home again.

It was a pity we didn't get to enjoy the hotel that much, checking in at 11am, and out at 7am the next day. But it was a lovely place to stay, and I know where I will be staying next time around.

Without wasting any time, we took Tram 13 back to the central station and headed to Uetliberg, the top of Zurich.

Walking towards the top. It was snowing mixed with some rain, and Mrs. left the Hyatt umbrella in the train!! Luckily, after my 300-yard mad dash/slide down the path, the train was still 4 minutes from departing. I wonder how much the hotel would charge us for that... hmmmm?

Seeing how the weather was still somewhat crappy (notice the theme here? crappy weather...) We managed to get some snapshots of the whole city. I can only imagine how beautiful it was when she was here last time, and the foliage turning... These photos don't do the justice. But I tried.

View from the top.

Afterwards, we decided we were cold enough, and lingering around braving the elements was no longer enticing, and headed down to the city. We walked around the old city, waited for the boat at Bürkliplatz for 30 minutes, only to realize they don't run it as often in the winter hours. So, instead of a boat trip in the freezing rain on Zurichsee, which would of been lovely, we set out to tick off the next place we want to visit on our list.

...Yeah, every one should come to Zurich, get soaked, freeze to death, and might as well catch a flu...

Within minutes, I finally get to experience what all the hype was all about, The famous Sternen Grill bratwurst. Although it took us a bit longer to find the temporary location due to the constructions around. It was so good, we each had second and was instantly satisfied. People of Zurich, you don't know how lucky you are.

Wish I can have one right now! How many of you are thinking the same?

As the weather deteriorated, the rest of the evening consisted only with small walk-around to the plaza where Winston Churchill made his famous "Europe Arise" speech and limited sightseeing. After struggling to get the right shots for the cathedral, we ended up in a lovely cafe in a back alley with a waitress looked like Katie Holmes. I could of swear she was smirking the rest of the night after we told her that.

Zurich Cathedral

The back alley where we met Katie.

After the warm tea and food, and seeing how the weather did not light up, we headed back to the hotel and relaxed. And pretty soon after, our brief stint in Zurich had to come to an end. It was a lovely, elegant city with class. And to say that I will visit again soon is only an understatement.

The next morning, after a breakfast in the world's longest bar, we were ready to leave.

Next time, I will stay for at least 1 week as I told myself while we slowly zoomed pass these tails. My parting shot, for now. Zurich, Swiss, I will be back!

Next stop, Dusseldorf and Köln.

Additional photos of Zurich.