FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The points and miles blog business model
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:04 pm
TheMilesProfessor

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Now let's look at the big blogs. I think the one with the clearest insight is MMS who shows us that his distribution list is over 10,000 readers. If you think about it most of the readers are likely to be focused on credit card sign ups. And there will be a huge variety of cards that they apply for and obtain. So let's say on average each sign up he gets earns $100. If he gets 10% of his readers to sign up for just one affiliate card per year, that is $100k. My guess is the conversion rate on a blog like MMS is significantly higher. Probably more like 10-20% of readers getting 2-3 cards per year, which at the top end could put revenue close to 7 figures. My guesstimate is that the big bloggers - MMS, TPG, VFTW and OMAAT are in the mid six figure range on affiliate revenue.
I know you're just giving a lower bound based on subscribed readers, but that may not be the most accurate measure of potential customer base.

From personal experience, I know the number of email subscribers and daily visitors differ by an order of magnitude. Google Reader subscribers, Facebook/Twitter followers, organic searches and referrals may actually amount to many more visitors.

As an example, I only had Daraius' blog in Reader for a while and would regularly subscribe through his links.