FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA "choice" @SMF: open sealed baby formula or 1 parents gets grope
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:23 pm
studentff

Programs: Former UA 1P
(bolding yours, color mine)
Originally Posted by omascreener
Actually this is the procedure for medically necessary liquids over 3.4 oz this includes sealed baby formula.

Here is a quote from the TSA website under the Medically Necessary Liquids heading:

Liquids, gels, and aerosols are screened by X-ray and medically necessary items in excess of 3.4 ounces will receive additional screening A passenger could be asked to open the liquid or gel for additional screening. TSA will not touch the liquid or gel during this process. If the passenger does not want a liquid, gel, or aerosol X-rayed or opened for additional screening, he or she should inform the officer before screening begins. Additional screening of the passenger and his or her property may be required, which may include a patdown.
I didn't request that the liquid not be x-rayed. I sent it right through the x-ray just like I have 7 other in the last 8 months.

Originally Posted by mulieri
If you are in this situation again, ask..no demand a LEO.
This wasn't a LEO-worthy situation for me, just a bad police-state joke in the form of security theater. The TSA would have told the LEO it was TSA policy (policy which the LEO isn't allowed to see either), and the LEO would shrug his shoulders.

Groping my son would have been a LEO-worthy situation, hence my asking if they intended to touch the baby.