FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United forcing to gate check a bag to destination
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:27 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Continited
This happened to me last night in Newark... As I'm boarding with my roll aboard that I always place in the bin, agent singled me out and said the bag had to be checked. I asked if the bins were full already (I'm in boarding group 2) and the agent said no, the bag was just too big. I explained that I always am able to fit the bag into the bin with room to spare, and the agent wouldn't relent. After I argued a little more he said I could try it in the bag sizer and if it fit, I could bring it on... So I try it and it fits perfectly into the sizer and he still said it had to be checked. I thought this was absurd and I brought the bag down the jetway with me, but I tore off the tag and put it up in the bin anyway as usual.

Just curious why the agent would single me out and do this for no reason? Not only did he insist on checking the bag for no apparent reason, but he was quite combative and aggressive about the whole situation. Is there any policy that they are following here?
Once they've made the oops they don't want to admit they're wrong.