FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asia Adventure - CX, EK, TG, RJ, PG - F&J + IC Hotels
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:30 pm
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Bangkok

Day 1 - Hot and Humid on the River

After my success on the MTR in Hong Kong, I decided to take the BTS (tube) to the river and see the sights. I had not slept too well after the excitement on the Emirates flight, the annoyance of the car thing and the anticipation of a new adventure in a city I had not visited before. So with only 3 hours of sleep under my belt and a nice breakfast, I lathered up with sun tan lotion and headed out into Bangkok.

The BTS station of Chitlom is 2 min walk from the hotel but there is also an undercover walkway up at height that takes you to the Siam station, which is a big interchange. As I would need to change here anyway, I decided to walk to the station and enjoyed the view from the walkway. The Erawan Shrine is right outside the hotel and the waft of incense as I walked past was intoxicating. There was also a laying of yellow flowers which made the sight very beautiful.

After a 10 min walk, I arrived at the Siam station and proceeded to try and not look like a tourist - epic fail! I managed to buy an all day pass for the princely sum of $3.78 but could not for the life of me figure out which way the trains were going. In the end I decided to just hop on one and see where I ended up. As luck would have it, I had managed to get on the correct train, and 4 stops later I was at the river.

I had decided to splash out on an all day ticket on the Chao Phraya River Tourist Boat - a whopping $5.21 was spent on that ticket. This was a good buy as the boat went up and down the river past most of the famous sights. I decided not to follow the crowd and get off at the first 'sight' but travel the length of the tour and get off on the return leg. That was a sound decision as the whole boat got off at the first Temple and by the time we had reached the end it was just me. The river sights were amazing - I can honestly say it was not what I expected at all but now that I have seen the boats dashing up and down and the Temples dotted about I understand the excitement of Bangkok.

I got off the boat, which in itself is a feat as they dock for about 4 seconds prior to heading off again so you have to be nimble - so I swiftly leaped like a gazelle off the boat......or something like that and found myself in Chinatown.

Day 2 - Shop, Shop Shopping!

Today was a day to explore the shops. I did the culture part yesterday and today I wanted to spend some money. I woke early and decided that, after another scrumptious breakfast in the Lounge, to head to Chatuchack Weekend market. I used the BTR like a pro and headed off to Mo Chit station to experience one of the biggest markets in the world. I am not sure what I was looking for but the advice was if you see something you like then buy it as you will never find your way back to that stall again if you don't.

I arrived at the market just as the stalls were setting up and had a plan of action to just follow my instinct and let my feet take me to where they wanted to go. The market was what I can only describe as a human rabbit warren! Each stall had its own identity - some were really ramshackle and others had glass windows and doors and air conditioning, side by side. Now to the goods the stalls were selling. I am pretty sure you could buy anything and everything that you may need in your lifetime - China, clothes, fans, very expensive crystal chandeliers, pets, the list goes on and on!

In the end, I actually didn't buy anything - it seems I was in a looking not buying mood and after a few hours I was also in a hot and bothered mood! So off I went to the mall - well I say a mall.... I walked through the walkway joining the hotel lobby and the mall and found myself staring up at 9 floors of shopping paradise/hell depending on your persuasion.

Last edited by aks120; Apr 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm