FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asia Adventure - CX, EK, TG, RJ, PG - F&J + IC Hotels
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:21 pm
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
EK F HKG-BKK

EK385 – A380
Planned T/O – 2115
Actual T/O - 2124
Planned Arrival – 2315
Actual Arrival – 2320
Seat – 2K

One of the perks of Flyertalk is that you get to see other people’s trip reports. I had only ever dreamed of flying in a First Suite on an Emirates A380 – I really was not as rich as I wanted to be. So when I read a few reports by people experiencing most of the F Suite hospitality but for a few hundred dollars instead of a few thousand I thought I would investigate more. It seems that the Emirates A380 flight from HKG-BKK and reverse is not as expensive as you would imagine and they sell their F tickets for a couple of hundred dollars more than a Y ticket. Whilst it is only a flight of a couple of hours, I really wanted to say that a) I had flown an A380 and b) I had flown in what is recognized as the best First Class suite in the business. So off I went to the Emirates website to book my trip. In fact the F ticket was only $150 more than the economy one on the date I wanted!

Transportation

I chose to do the reverse of my inbound route on the Airport Express, as it was so easy and more importantly I had paid for a return journey! The bus picked me up at the hotel and took me to Kowloon station where I caught the Airport Express back to the airport. I cannot recommend this enough as a very simple and hassle free experience.

Check-in

I did not check in at the Kowloon Airport Express terminal, as I wanted to experience the proper Emirates F check in experience at the airport. Not sure what I was expecting but there was no harps or doves or singing nuns, just a gaggle of agents gossiping. I stood patiently waiting to be acknowledged and I was, but no apology just some sheepish looks.

Anyway check in was fast and I headed off to the security line - I could not see one for F passengers, I am not sure there is one but the line went very quickly. In fact I don't think I have ever been through security quicker and with less hassle - T5 take note! I then queued to leave the country - again very quick and then suddenly I was in the vast expanse, which is known as Hong Kong Duty Free. It really is a bit overwhelming to see all the different shops.

Lounge – Emirates Lounge

It took me a little while to find the lounge, it is not that well signposted in my opinion, and when I got there at 1730, I was told they were shut and to come back at 1815. It seems the lounge shuts for about an hour at this time of the evening although I am not sure why. Maybe it was just as well as I could have had a lot of champagne in that time and wanted to enjoy the good stuff they served on board! The lounge is very nice and I loved the distance between the chairs - made it seem very roomy and you had your personal space. The lounge is a joint J and F lounge, but I did not feel I was missing out with not having a separate F lounge. They served a selection of wines and Veuve Clicquot champagne - and a small food selection. I had some noodles, which were pretty tasteless, and some cheese and biscuits - the blue cheese served was delicious although it was so strong I doubt I will taste anything else tonight!

Service was VERY efficient - a little too efficient in my mind - I am quite capable of serving myself at a buffet and the presence of a person right next to me every time I made a move toward the food or drink was a little unnerving. It also meant I didn't take as many photos as I wanted as I felt a bit daft doing so. The lounge was a mix of what I would say was business and leisure travelers - no loud talkers or DYKWIA and the atmosphere was one of quiet activity and consideration for others. The view was great as I could see the comings and goings of the airlines outside - although the visibility was appalling today so I could not see as much as I wanted.

Now it is time to board - Wow wow wow wow and wow! I thought the Cathay seat was impressive but this Emirates First class suite is better than my apartment.

First impressions did make me wonder what all the hype was about but then I settled in and saw the suite for all its glory. The seat is super comfortable, the storage spaces are well thought out and the gadgets are to die for!

The seat is wonderfully comfortable. Now it took me a while to figure out the remote control thingy that controls the entire seat but I could control the lights, seat, privacy door and massage function, all with the touch of a button on an ipad looking machine. I felt like I was in charge of the starship enterprise!

I smiled at the electronic window blinds - how cool are they?? I went exploring and found the shower - Emirates are the only ones with a shower on board their A380 - it may be a gimmick but it was a great one at that.

The TV screen is also bigger than my home one - absolutely fabulous. Now to address that 'bling' accusation - true, it is a little bright for my liking but it is impressive - vanity mirrors, touch screen controls and drinks cabinet - what is not to like! I also do not like gold - I am a platinum or white gold girl, so the gold bling was a little too bright however it is done in a way that seems to fit both the Emirates brand and the magnificent A380!

Pre flight drinks were a glass of Moet & Chandon. I tried to say no to a second glass but that was ignored - oh well, if you insist! I really put my foot down when she tried to refill my glass for a third time. On BA you get 1 small glass and that is your lot! 

Entertainment – A great choice of entertainment - I did not watch anything, as I wanted to enjoy the flight and food. I am sure a flight to Dubai would go super fast though. I did watch the nose camera when on the ground and for approach - the picture was far better than the Cathay one as it was clear and in focus and when put on such a big TV screen, it was a great way to watch the approach and landing.

After a period of sitting in the seat, I thought I actually prefered the Cathay business class seat for comfort. For a start the Cathay one seemed wider, and it did not have an annoying light at head height that I kept banging my head on. To add insult to injury the head light did not work so it was just something for me to bang my head on!

Take off was actually pretty undramatic - for an aircraft this big it seems very unassuming. Where is the dramatic feeling of being thrown into your seat a la 747 take off? It seemed to be going so slowly that I doubted it would ever leap into the air.

The menu came round – and a glass of vintage Dom Perignon 2003 was offered. Very nice it was too!

The menu for the short flight is huge - very impressive. Choices are:

Starters

Loch Fyne Salmon served with caviar, quail's eggs and fresh sour cream
Oven roasted lamb loin accompanied with orange segments and Mango chutney

Salad

I had the salmon and caviar to start - the salmon was delicious however the caviar required my contacts lenses and glasses to see - I think they just say it to impress rather than for any substance! The salad and garlic bread was tasty though and the balsamic salad dressing had a great punch.

Mains

Steamed fillet of ling fish served with preserved vegetable soya sauce, carrot flowers, pak choy greens and steamed rice
Chinese style roast chicken with a rich oriental plum sauce, fresh assorted seasonal vegetables and stir fried soya egg noodles
Grilled lamb rack topped with sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and rich lamb jus, served with vegetable ratatouille and creamy mashed potatoes
Stir fried tofu with vegetables in a light soya sauce, garnished with vegetables and served with egg fried rice

Variety of vegetables
Bread basket with crusty, garlic or arabic bread

I had the chicken with plum sauce for my main - not that great to be honest. The noodles were nice but the veg was pretty boring. One up to Cathay in the food department so far!

Desert

Orange chocolate mousse cake
Cheese board
Fruits
Chocolates

Amenity Kit – no real kit given out on this flight but a mini one provided in the desk with Templespa products. Trying to get it out of its packaging was a little difficult - if only I had a knife or some scissors........

The girl serving my seat was very friendly - not quite to Cathay's standards but certainly above the BA ladies and gents. However I did not get a seat explanation - which was required as it is like a space station, and I could hear other girls chatting a bit more to their customers. It seems that the HKG-BKK is a bit of a tourist route as I was not the only one taking photos and walking around in awe - maybe the charm comes out when the people who have paid top dollar to fly F to Dubai are the only ones in the cabin!

Arrival was very painless although there was a long walk from the aircraft to the immigration and baggage area. Luckily there was a lot of moving walkways going in the right direction. Passport control was quick and my bags were the first 2 off the aircraft so I was through customs and out into the throngs of the airport in quick time.

Last edited by aks120; Apr 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm