FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 9 h layover in YYZ arriving from the US and then departing international
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:32 am
*A Flyer

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by Flygirl_DE
Thanks a lot for all the helpful replies.

I'm German and my passport is issued in Germany as well. I'll be traveling on an AC ticket, but the last leg to DUS is a codeshare; AC flight number and performed by LH.

I would prefer NOT to pick my baggage up and instead have it checked through to my final destination without having to deal with it in between my flights, but I found the info on the AC website about transiting in YYZ a little confusing and it didn't offer any information about being in transit AND leaving the airport for a short visit to downtown/a hotel (Sheraton is a great suggestion)
Okay. Have your bags checked all the way through to DUS. That way, they will be transferred through YYZ for you with nothing to do.

If you want to go downtown or to a hotel, follow the signs from your flight to Customs and Immigration. You are entering Canada rather than transiting so do not follow the connections signs. Once you have cleared immigration, you will find your transport options outside.

To the City you can take the TTC bus to Kipling station then the Bloor subway to St George and University line to Union ($3 cash and 1.5 hours each way). Alternatively, the Airport Express bus runs half-hourly and will cost about $35 return. It gets you downtown in about 40 minutes.

Once back at the airport, just follow the signs to international departures. There is no immigration check, you just clear security and find your gate.