FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The points and miles blog business model
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by oliver2002
My question is if this blogger business model is longterm enough for one to neglect/park/abandon/not even start a classic brick-and-mortar career.
No way. But if you are a stay-at-home mom, you already decided to park your career for a while. I get the impression that a large majority of bloggers are essentially hobbyists who intended to operate their blogs on the side. Only the very top bloggers get the option to go full-time and quit their day jobs. Even among them I haven't heard of anyone who did it.

If you ask bloggers (e.g., at FTU or other event they attend), they will tell you that the days of large credit card bonuses will end as playing the game becomes more popular and begins to look more frugal than weird.

In my opinion that corner has not been turned. The few times I have mentioned to seatmates that one can earn hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles with credit card bonuses, they're not interested. They presume that it must be impossibly difficult or dishonest or something; there must be a catch. Only when someone they already know as a friend explains it will they take the time to investigate. Even then most people won't bother. They can't believe that free money exists.

What will it take to kill credit card bonuses? Probably a major sitcom character explaining the techniques to his or her friends, then follow-up press articles demonstrating that you really can do it. Either that or a reality show called Flip This Credit Card.