FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A megalithic adventure: a trip to Peru, Bolivia, and Easter Island
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:29 am
flyersky1

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Tambo del Inka hotel, Urubamba, Sacred Valley of the Incas

The receptionist at Tambo del Inka was very welcoming. As I mentioned earlier, initially I had booked 3 consecutive nights but decided to cancel the second night and stay in Ollantaytambo instead. The reason was that I had a 7 am train ride to Machu Picchu from Ollantaytambo. It would also allow me to explore the ruins of Ollantaytambo. The receptionist at Tambo del Inka was very understanding. She upgraded me to an amazing one bedroom suite and offered to put me back in it when I came back the following night.

As a platinum amenity I was offered breakfast or points. I chose the breakfast. Unfortunately, the next morning I slept in and missed the breakfast. The receptionist was very nice to credit the points instead. The butler was also extremely polite and friendly. He took me to the suite and explained every little detail.

The suite had a river view, which was obstructed by the trees and shrubs growing along. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. The only drawback was that the shower stream was weak, I guess because the hotel is trying to be eco friendly. After I settled down, I took a walk around the property. The setting is beautiful with the river and the surrounding peaks. There is a soccer field and a tennis court. The hotel comes with its own train station to Machu Picchu. Unfortunately, I could not book tickets online and didn't want to leave the purchase to the last minute. Also, there's limited service and the times might not have worked for me. But it's nice to have the option.

The train station to MP:

Vilcanota (Urubamba) River:

The hotel has a lovely spa and a swimming pool. I had a massage which was pretty good. After that the butler booked dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious although pricey. After dinner it was time to enjoy the comfortable bed. I slept on and off until after 1pm and missed breakfast. Instead, I ordered room service.