FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:41 am
baliktad
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
QF premium class awards [...] from the USA are very, very difficult to get, especially more than one at a time.
I cannot echo this enough. It takes a special kind of patience to book a premium cabin QF award ex-USA. I routinely search for QF premium cabin awards LAX-SYD. The usual results, when I specify complete schedule flexibility to fly ANYTIME in the next year:
LAX-BNE-SYD in J: "best" availability. Usually around 10-12 total days available with 1 seat each, mostly at ~11 months out.
LAX-SYD in J: next best. Usually around 5 or 6 total days available, 1 seat each, mostly at ~11.5 months out.

Anything ex-LAX in F: joke availability. I've never had an agent find availability, and I have never even encountered an agent that has ever booked a QF F award. Some claim that they have heard it has been done, but it's the stuff of folklore.
I have largely given up on QF premium cabin awards. If you want reasonable availability, CX J through HKG would be my next choice, but as pointed out above, you'd have to book the intra-AUS/NZ flights separately.