FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Second Anniversary Asian Adventure: UA Y, LH F and C, OZ C, TG F and QR C
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:08 am
macdonaldj2

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Sigh…part 2…’The Sighining’

We left off as we were about to board our flight to Dallas. Why Dallas and not the direct flight to Houston? Well the answer is twofold. One, we wanted to crash the FCT for a few hours and since F was not available on the direct IAH we chose to go to DFW. Two, I have an odd obsession with In-n-out and since they recently opened up many locations in Dallas I make it a point to visit a few times a year.

This was my birthday ‘cake’ from a few years back:

As you can see I do not mess around when it comes to in-n-out. Moving on, we had a 3-4 hour layover in DFW and since UA doesn’t have any sort of lounge and I didn’t feel like sitting a gate I hatched a plan in Frankfurt to rent a car and drive to the nearest in-n-out. What else would you do after an 11 hour transatlantic flight, a 12 hour Asia to Europe flight and a 4 hour starter flight? Sleep? Shower? Pfff then you are weak.

Getting back to the actual flight, it was old F, I knew that going into it and the only sliver of hope I had was getting a Rimowa amenity kit which I didn’t. Oh well, the load was 4/8 and everyone had an extra ‘bed’. It was the standard LH F service done with German precision. The menu was the same as I had on the MUC-ICN leg, but I knew I would be enjoying the comfort of a greasy burger in 11 hours and that’s enough to make me not want to eat en-route. I ate anyway knowing I didn’t have a reserve tank big enough to hold me over. I passed on the tower this time and just opted for the pressed carrot appetizer and I had the same soup and main from the ICN leg. The soup was SALTY and not good at all, and the lamb was just meh. I passed on desert but I did enjoy some of the truffles they handed out. The rest of the flight was spent attempting to sleep and watching breaking bad. Now I started this report because one of two things got me gravely ill and I couldn’t leave my couch when I got back home. It was either the walk to the FCT in the cold OR the person sitting in 1A who was a coughing germ factory. I understand the need to get somewhere for business and I don’t blame you. However have some manners and cover your mouth or do like 85% of Asia and wear a surgical mask so you don’t infect everyone else. You can thank him though, because without him I wouldn’t be sitting here reminiscing and you wouldn’t be reading this..not sure if you are or just looking at pictures. I would have stopped reading ages ago.

The flight was generally uneventful and as soon as we landed in Dallas I was eager to get to in-n-out. Thanks to CBP we have global entry so we grabbed our bags and breezed through that, we would have been able to use it anyway coming off of F. A quick shuttle ride over to the rental car terminal and we were shortly off to locate the nearest in-n-out. Well long story short, we ended up somehow in Addison which isn’t the nearest in-n-out, but none of that matters. I quickly ordered the standard for me, 1 number 2 with a well done animal style fries and then another double double to hold me over.

Double double doubled?:

Animal Style Fries:

I’ll spare you the details about the rest; we drove back to DFW, dropped the car off, and sat in regional C on UA. We were back in Houston.

Stats:
Flights – 12
Miles flown – 29134
Time away – 2 weeks
Amenity kits – Bonger on LH F, Tumi on TG 747 and Rimowa on A380
Number of LH duckies – 7
Times that I rang the call button – One, accidently when I stood up and slammed my head.
Total season of Breaking Bad: 4, I have never seen the show before and started watching it during this trip.

Stay tuned as we head back to Germany in May for a wedding where we’ll be driving from FRA-HAM via Austria?

Last edited by macdonaldj2; Apr 12, 2013 at 4:00 pm