FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Second Anniversary Asian Adventure: UA Y, LH F and C, OZ C, TG F and QR C
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:12 pm
macdonaldj2

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Departure Day:
We woke up earlier in anticipation and of course I wouldn’t be on FT if I didn’t check for a better routing. Three hours before we were scheduled to leave I found two open seats in F on the IAD-FRA route on the new 747-8. A call to united was placed and got a very nice 1k agent who booked it without incident, he said I would have to go to LH in IAH because there was some “issue”. I attempted to check us in and I was unable due to the “issue”. Another call to united was placed and I got an agent who was terrible. She kept on complaining she couldn’t fix anything and that my routing was illegal in terms of routing. She was yelling at me telling me that she needed to route me the most “direct way” possible, I asked if it was illegal how did it get ticketed, I got no response and she informed me she was going to explain this to her supervisor and inform the agent that originally booked me. I took offense to this and explained the agent did nothing wrong if it ticketed out.

Our conversation came to an end when she told me I could check in for the LH flight and off I went to the airport. We had a CRJ to IAD and we sat in Y, I know you aren’t reading this for a report of that flight. It took off and landed 3 hours later, water was served.

IAD-FRA – 747-8i
Today’s flight would be on D-ABYA – “Mecklenburg-Vorpommern”

Between the flight time being on the short side and the meal service taking some time, I wasn’t planning on sleeping. One thing that I have been reading is LH keeping the cabin hot and sadly I enjoy sleeping in when it’s cooler. We arrived from IAH and transited over to the senator lounge, we had enough time to grab a quick drink and then it was time to board. While walking to the plane we ended up passing the couple sitting in row 1 who were snapping pictures of the plane who we ended up chatting with in the FCT and learned they would be in Bangkok when we would.

We were seated in the “honeymoon” seats. Soon after we were seated, we were informed of our lockers, pajamas were handed out along with amenity kits. Champagne and warm nuts were served.
Menu for flights: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-class-79.html

Amuse bouche:

After that the flight attendant took dinner orders and asked if we wanted soup or salad. Not aware of the appetizer cart I also informed her I would like the tower. She said do not worry I will bring one over.
Caviar Service and the tower:

The Grilled Shrimp with Horseradish Chili Sauce was the winner of the appetizer round for me. For dinner I ordered the Braised Chicken Breast and my wife got the Poached Lobster Tail.

Both entrees were very good, my wife allowed me to try hers. For desert we decided to try both the chocolate option and I ordered the key lime tart

I wasn’t able to try chocolate panna cotta, let alone snap a picture of it before it was devoured. After dinner, everyone started to get changed for bed while I ordered a JW Blue. I settled into watching breaking bad and after a few of those I decided to go into the galley and have another scotch, I also struck up a conversation with the one of the FA’s, I told him this was the first time flying the 748 and he asked if he could give me a tour. Off we went to see the new C, we went upstairs and explained how the new F seats were too heavy to be upstairs, from what I gathered he said all F would be moving downstairs in the future. He also said LH would be adding a premium economy class, it looked like they needed it, I’m not sure I could stand sitting in there for 7-11 hours. On our tour there was one person similar to my size that was stuck in the middle seat with a seat pushed up to his face, I felt bad and beat a hasty retreat to my bed in the front of the bus. I attempted to sleep, but it was hot for me so I watched more breaking bad. A few more episodes down and then tables were made up and breakfast was served, I don’t remember much about it as I knew I had 7 hours in the FCT which is coming up next.