FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a TV to India - Customs Question
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:41 am
jawadkha

Well I Am Back to China now ..Let Me Share my Experience Of Taking 40Inch LED to India.

As i had Posted Earlier i was Leaving for India on January 10, So the Day Before Leaving I Packed EVerything and I Came to Know that i Was Running Excess of 10Kgs

And The Worst thing was i needed to Travel first From Domestic Airport to Other Airport with in China . ( Hangzhou to Guangzhou ). The China Southern Airlines Normally Allow Baggage of 20+7 Kgs -- And i was Having with me 45Kgs . OOps

At the Check in Counter he Took 3 Bags and Another Tv of my Friend , Excluding My TV - And said he cant Take Any more So Better Remove the TV He Said and said to Move from the Que - And Even said
The Counter is Closed - We were 2 People Still in Hand 4 Bags with my TV + Hand Bag (he he ) ..So we Rushed towards Boarding, as we were Short of Time Along With Our Bags , They Were Quite Confused and asked Us how come you Bring Luggage Here .
I lied to them that the Luggauge Counter was Closed so we had to Carry our Lugagge.
It Worked Well -- But Believe me i had only 10 Minutes to Get in the Flight And the Chinese Airports are big as Hell -- was Running and Running n At Some Point of time Understood that i Missed it . ( At the Same Time Remembering that my Chinese Driver said that if Something goes wrong he will Buy the TV from me infact for very Few Bucks) :-(

At Last i Was in Flight on Time -- My Luck -- Seats were Full Occupied as My Flight was Late So Just now they Changed my Flight as i had to Travel International from my Next destination . --- So i Was Allowed to Sit in the Business Class -- Was Feeling Good .

So , I reached Guangzhou Domestic Airport and then Moved to International Terminal and Found Out Malaysian Airlines Counter was Closed - I was Late by 15 Minutes , And the Next Flight was After 24 Hours . --- Ohh What Can be Worst then this ) .

Then One Sweet Chinese Young Girl -who works in Malaysian Airlines was Going Around -- I Went to her and had a talk with her - She Understood by Seeing my Face What i was Going Through -- She said ok ok , Let me Change your Ticket into China Southern Airlines
till Malaysia . And The Fee was low 150RMB .

I rested for 3 hours and Then Made Boarding pass with Excess Luggage - the same Girl Was there at Check in so there was no Problem Of Luggauge this Time . She Applied a Fragile Sticker and said me to give my LED TV to Heavy Luggauge Department.

And At Last After Cathcing Another Flight from Malaysia ( Via) I reached Hyderabad . At 12 .When we were about to Arrive i noticed in the Arrival Card - The Limit of Valuable item i can bring from China was Only 6000Rupees , for Other Countries it was 42,000RS.
Oh My God ~ What a Tough Time ~ I was Going Through .

I cleared Immigration , Some People were There Who Were Also Taking TV's with them but it was Under 32Inch and mine was Looking Huge --So i reminded myself he does not know that i am coming from china -- if he asks i will tell him that i am coming from malaysia - later if got caught can say i am coming from malaysian airlines -Its funny i Know But i did not had Any Other Option -- Because of the Limit 6,000 Rs .

So finally the Custom People Eyes Were Large by Seeing a LED TV With Sony Logo-- they Called me , And Talked With Me - His Name was Subra Manyam - A Black Guy in a White Customs Officer Uniform . Was Seeing Black man After a Year and Now Have to Argue with him - i thought it my mind .

So he Asked me 40Inch Led ?? I said yes -- So the tax will be 7500Rs. So i Should Pay it . I said what ?? Oh My God i was Expecting 3000 Rs.
Later we had a Talk like Uncle and Nephew as i was 23 years Old , lol
So i started testing him now - i asked him what is the Method of Duty Calculation , he was not Able to Answer me - He said for 40'inch people pay 7500 .What the .... i thought . I started to Check his patience now - By Asking About Rules - As i was Familiar with them after seeing a Couple of Posts before departing china .

He Asked me Slowly - Pay me Money and then Leave ..No One Will Know .
I Said him - i dont have money -- I Had Spent All the money in Shopping .
Just Left with $20 USD in My Pocket And Will use it to take a taxi for Home.

Senior Officer was Hearing our Conversation from a long time - and he understood they had Caught a Wrong Fish , lol -- they said they will Seize the TV and i can Take the TV from them Later when i got the Money -- Are they Kidding ? no they are not --they were Desperate About Money --He Suggested Airports also have Atms . I said but i dont have a Atm with me . Lol, i was testing there patience -He he

They Opened there Mouth Wide And Asked Pay 40USD and then Leave (40$=2200RS).
Well it was Ok for me -- But i was Greedy that time and also Thought Should Play with them more .

And Finally i Showed my Wallet on Camera - he was frightened Till Death -- he said do not do it - Camera are watching -- Just Keep the Money on my Counter and Go.

FInally After a Long Bargaining Session I paid him 1400 RS .

So I had mentioned you All About my Worst & Wonderful Experience - well Its Upto You --You want to Take it or not -- But i feel Good What a Wonderful Experience It Was , Though good or bad -- But It will Make me Feel Good whenever i remember About it .

And Guys Its Worth Taking LED TV But Above 40Inch Will be More Good - I Bought this TV at 27,000RS ...Its Price in India is 60,000Rs .
Hehe

Regards,
Khan