FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SOUTH AFRICA via JFK-YUL-AMS-CPT-JNB-AMS-JFK
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:05 pm
nycflyer75

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
TRIP REPORT SOUTH AFRICA
WINTER 2012 (summer southern Hemisphere)

Part 1: JFK-YUL-AMS
Part 2: AMS-CPT
Part 3: Pepper Club Hotel & Spa
Part 4: Pepper club Hotel & Spa part II
Part 5: Cape Town
Part 6: CPT-JNB BA/Comair
part 7: JNB AirFrance Lounge/KLM JNB-AMS
part 8: AMS crown Lounge/KLM AMS-JFK

KLM
KL 597
Aircraft: 777-200
Actual seat: 14G
Depart: Amsterdam International Airport (AMS)
Arrive:Cape Town International Airport (CPT)
Sched.Departure: 9:25am Actual Departure: 9:35pm
Sched.Arrival:9:45pm Actual arrival: 9:40pm

Refreshed and fed and perhaps a little tipsy from the mimosa's in the KLM Crown Lounge 52 I headed down to the gate and as I walked up, there was a long line for security and nude-o-scope but luckily I saw a sign above for Elites and Business class with only 2 people in line *sweet!
It's moments like these I truly enjoy having status even if I am flying at the back of the bus. Less than 3 mins I was through security and the nude-o-scope. I do think that its great having the security at the individual gates though bad for bringing drinks through, since they are confiscated. What happens to duty free? Are you not allowed to take liquor etc?
On a side note I can't wait to have duty free on arrival at new arrivals hall for Delta at JFK terminal 4. I think it's a great idea and on my trips to Australia I do love the aspect of a shopping mall before you go to Immigration. Some say they hate it, but just walk right through, simple enough

AMS - KLM aircraft taking me down to Cape Town

Once on board, this flight immediately looked packed, certainly up front in EC. I once again prefer aisle seats, but maybe I should sit in the middle area on the aisle since I was constantly getting up to let the middle and window seat folks out. Luggage packed about, bose headset out, Delta new Tumi amenities kit out and lounge-ware pants on I was all set for the 11hr and 10min flight. Across from me a gentleman had the exact regiment and brand new tumi amenities kit as well, he caught my eye as I was holding my tumi pack in hand we both grinned. A fellow Delta traveller from the US heading down to Cape Town.

As I relaxed waiting for our departure, I heard the think Afrikaans accent of a South African gentleman sitting behind my fellow US traveller and his accent made me smile to hear that I would soon be to sunny, warm South Africa. How quickly that voice became irritating, not the accent but the constant chatter with his fellow seat mates and anyone who would listen - what do call those folks, who eagerly wait to make conversation with you, not polite conversation but needs to tell you everything from his gallstones to his love of his mother or the fact he loves wearing his bold in your face South Africa Jersey or how he can't wait to date a wonderful women! Oy Vay! and cue bose headphone on!

A quick taxi and we were off to South Africa.

flight map

The flight crew were efficient friendly during their service. I however did not have a chance to take pics, quite simply it was too hard to even get my arms as far back if not hitting the girl next to me to take a pic of well lets face it Economy food, I am sure 99% have no interest in seeing that.
As stated by OldRoyal - You know the food on KLM is delicious because all the packaging tells you so!

Since I generally fly a lot for work, I am not home much in NYC and the thought of going to the movie theater is non existent these days, so when I fly I try and catch up on as many movies as possible - Flying High Movie Marathon. Like most of you, I saw the movie " Up In The Air" well in the air of course!

Meal: Chinese chicken with rice, chocolate mouse, hot fresh bread rolls
Once the service was concluded I buckled down for my movie marathon. I was exhausted and worked hard to keep my eyes open. It was interesting that I don't think I've flown a day flight over 11hrs in years so most folks were wide awake and every shade was open with incredible glare.

Finally I crashed half way through a forgettable movie. I enjoyed the seat but was uncomfortable most of the flight, never truly finding a comfortable sleeping position, trying not to intrude on the middle seat person. Perhaps a glass of red wine and lunesta should have been in order.

Day flight over Africa

Snack's that were served during the flight : Ice-cream, ham or cheese sandwich and in the galley assortment of snacks e.g: mars bars, cookies, crackers as well as open cans of soda's and juices.

After a few hours of sleep, dinner service began 1hrs before arrival with chicken and rice, cous cous (horrible) bread roll and fresh cut apples as dessert. As much as I love flying this flight felt cramped or maybe because my ... is getting bigger from eating too much in the lounges and up front in Business...eek

Arrival in Cape Town

I could not see completely, but I am sure the window seat had an incredible views of the lights of Cape Town. Quick landing it was a short taxi to the gate. A BA 747-400 was parked next door, yikes hope there didn't just arrive, all I wanted to do was get to the hotel and crash. The US traveler guy asked me where I was coming from, I said, "NYC" and he said "Detroit" we had a friendly chat and no sooner were we bonding our buddy behind us struck up a conversation about how glad he was coming home, supposedly he lives in Myrtle Beach and so glad he didn't get caught with the snow. A tpyical NY'er would smile, nod and turn around and get on their phone. But the poor guy from Detroit got caught up in a major conversation and yet again talk at you conversation about his mother, gallstones, etc. I needed to get off this plane quick and far away from this conversation ha

As I power walked through the terminal to immigration (a cool aspect of the walk, there is large windows to the parked aircrafts and a view to the waiting area where you could see loved ones etc) phew empty immigration hall. As one of the first off the aircraft it took perhaps 5-10 mins to get through with 4 IO for non-South Africa Passports. To have entry into South Africa you must have two full pages free for their stamps. Well the stamps were two small round stamps and not even on a empty page! Go figure. I have heard that you need another page for a departure stamp. A friendly welcome to South Africa I was straight through customs to a waiting BMW car service for a quick trip to the Pepper Club hotel and spa.

I am in South Africa. YAY!

Last edited by nycflyer75; Mar 13, 2013 at 9:33 pm