FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:41 pm
dmurphynj

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Almost turned down

I had an almost denial that turned positive in the end.

Many moons ago, someone (not me!) committed a crime by breaking into a computer I owned and then using it to commit another crime.

This brought a bunch of men in suits to my house to confiscate my computer and I ended up going for a polygraph test, etc. In the end, it took about a year, but I got all my stuff back and the perpetrator of said crime was never located. I was, of course, never charged with a crime, never arrested, and never committed a crime.

Anywho - when the CBP agent asked if I had even been arrested or convicted of a crime, I said no. He then called me a liar and said I was trying to hide this investigation from him. When I said 'no, sir, you asked about arrests and convictions which of course I have never been' he then berated me about how GE is a program all about trust and how untrustworthy he thinks I am.

All I could think of was Arlo Guthrie and the Group W bench. And at least Arlo actually DID something wrong!! All I've got is an investigation of a crime that was committed against myself and a third party!

The net-net is that, thankfully, I was able to provide him with the name of the government representative who conducted said investigation many years ago, and he turned the whole thing over to his supervisor.

I got approved about 5 hours later, but the entire drive home, I was furious that I may not be moral enough to join GE because of a crime that was committed against me! Not to mention how insulting the CBP agent was ...

Not a pleasant experience but I'm happy to have my GE card.